Working Girl

“Oo thank you. So seven o’clock, if that’s okay with you Thomas?”

“Yeah that’s fine, glad I could help Aimes. See you soon.”

As soon as I ended the call an evil smile crept onto my face. Jase was definitely going to be in for a surprise.

Pulling up at Valentino’s I exhaled deeply. The place looked eerie in the dark; low lighting glimmered into the dark of night. Smoothing down the nonexistent creases in my black pencil skirt I plucked up the courage to get out of my car. My feet dragged as I walked to the main entrance, with each step my legs began to turn to jelly. As soon as I reached the door I stood up straight and strode in, I had to at least look confident. Jase greeted me with raised eyebrows.

“Hey sexy, can’t stay away from me can you?” he grinned.

“Actually I’m here to see Thomas. You know, your boss?” I smirked.

His face dropped and he began to mutter something to himself before he called for Thomas. Stood at the counter I glanced around me, I was sure that I was going to fit in very nicely around here. Thomas appeared and pulled me into a bear hug, almost crushing me in the process. He released me then called all the staff to attention.

“Right guys, I want you all to meet Aimee. She’s our newest employee and she’s going to be working front of house. So let’s all try and make her feel comfortable here,” he stated.

At this piece of information Jase’s eyes grew wide with shock. This really was going to be fun.

Over the course of the evening I did have a few run-ins with Jase. I half expected him to make more of his ‘charming’ remarks instead he looked deep in thought; either that or he was constipated. This did surprise me, I wasn’t even aware that the boy had a brain. Everyone else at Valentino’s was lovely, so my nerves soon died down.

My first shift was actually really tiring, answering calls and showing people to their tables doesn’t sound like hard work but Valentino’s was hardly a quiet place. As for the customers, some of them mustn’t have been taught manners at pre-school. I mean really how hard is it to say please and thank you? I was relieved at eleven o’clock when the place shut for the night, it meant I could do what I had wanted to do all night long- go to bed. I hardly even had time to tease Jase, which was the whole reason behind me getting this job. The money would definitely come in handy too.

Getting a job had actually been rather easy, much easier than I had expected it to be. Then again Thomas still felt guilty for dumping me, he was under the impression that he had broken my heart, who was I to correct him? It would be a tad awkward to tell him that it didn’t actually bother me, especially as we had remained friends; that kind of thing can put a dampener on a friendship. Admittedly I hadn’t expected the job to be such hard work, how foolish was I? It was only Wednesday so I dreaded to think how busy it would be at the weekend.

I walked to my car barely able to lift my legs; my legs felt like lead, when I heard someone call my name. Turning to face them, I was surprised to find Jase walking across the car park towards me. What did he want now? My brain told me to stop and wait; it would after all give my legs a much deserved break.

“Hey Aimes, you’re a working girl now I see?” he laughed.

“Hmmm, yeah that’s me. What can I do for you Jase?” I yawned.

“I was just...errmmm...wondering if you wanted me to walk you to your car?” he muttered.

His request made me suddenly suspicious. He wanted to walk me to my car? What were his intentions? He probably wanted to try it on in the back seat or something; never the less I accepted his offer. If he did indeed try it on then I’d turn him down, it was as simple as that. Saying no to Jase was now so routine that it was like breathing; I did it without a second thought. The short walk to my car was silent, I at least expected him to say something but instead he was mute. As we reached my car, I felt his hand on my arm.

“Look...Aimes. I’m sorry,” he sighed.

“Sorry? What for?” I asked, hoping he would believe I was naive of his doings.

“The way I treated you. I was a complete...”

“Jerk? Jackass?” I asked finishing his sentence.

“Yeah, I was, wasn’t I? I didn’t treat you right and I really should have. I took your virginity then completely screwed you over; I’m surprised you even talk to me. I’m just so sorry. Do you think you could give me another chance, please?” he begged.

To be completely honest, I was unable to speak he did sound genuine, then again I had been fooled by his acting talent already before. Should I continue to reject him or finally accept and get to work on the real plan, bringing him down?

“Okay Jase. But you screw up and that’s it, got it?” I sighed, admitting defeat.

Grinning he kissed me on the cheek. Instead of the fireworks I felt when he’d kissed me before I didn’t feel a thing. Me, kissing Matt popped into my head instantly. I tried to ignore the thought and told myself to get a grip but still the thought lingered. Climbing in the car I was tempted to bang my head against the steering wheel; that would get him out of my head, as well as a few brain cells. No matter how much I tried to ignore it and deny it, I felt something for Matt.

When I finally got home I clambered straight into bed relief washed over me. Instead of drifting off to sleep as I had expected to do, I felt wide awake as if I’ve had a million cups of coffee. Every time I closed my eyes Matt’s face drifted into my mind. I lay there and contemplated texting him, I just needed to make sure he was okay.

‘Hey Matt. It’s me Aimee I just wanted to see how you are xx’ I hesitantly typed.

My finger hovered over the send button, before I could press it a text arrived.

‘Hey Aimes, I miss you, you know. Hope all is well xx’ Matt’s text read.

My heart fluttered. He missed me? Quickly I deleted my message. He had text me so I knew that he was okay, there was no need to text him anymore; well that’s what I told myself. Secretly I knew that if I replied there would be no going back. I’d be drawn back in and only make Matt unhappy. He didn’t deserve to be unhappy so it was best that I left him alone no matter how much it pained me to do so. We had already said goodbye once before that nearly killed me, having to do it again really would finish me off.

Hearing from Matt helped me to relax a little and I could feel my eyelids drooping. My phone vibrated indicated another text. Excitement built up inside me, only for it to turn to turn to disappointment merely seconds later when I read it was from Jase.

‘Night babe. I promise I won’t screw things up this time <3 xx’

‘I know you won’t night x’ I text back.

Instead of him screwing things up this time I’d be screwing him over. Lay there I began to plot my next steps, the last thing I remember thinking of involved a tiger and a very scared Jase, before I fell asleep.