Chapter 12

° Chapter twelve °

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Sunday evening, 8:30pm RM. 450

The room is big, enough to fit twelve people. It have one tv, one couch, a table w/ three chairs, cabinets and a small refrigerator. The bed is placed at the right side if you are coming from the outside. The temperature is very cold but drops of sweat are pouring down from his forehead. He is sitting beside her. He holds her hand, its very cold. Since they arrived, she haven't wake up yet. Javy arrive with Kath, he took his mother and sister home because he doesn't want them to get tired and they will just contact them for some news. Quen just look at his brother and stay at Mae's side. "How is she?" javy ask, before Quen could answer, Mae's mother along w/ two doctors and three nurses enter the room. The doctors have her results from her lab tests. Quen stand up and face her mother with the 'whats going on' look on his face. The nurses just stare at him, they know him of course, her mom smile and said, "She's okay. Pagod lang daw yun." He smile and look back at Mae who is peacefully sleeping. The doctors give some look at her mother but they didn't notice it, something is wrong w/ her they just don't want to say it yet. "So can she leave?" javy ask politely, "We are not sure yet. She haven't wake up yet. We have to make sure that she's really okay then we will decide if she can leave." explained by the tall doctor. "For now, our advice is to let her sleep. Based on your tests and observations, she doesn't sleep well and its not good for people especially teenagers like you. It can affect your brains and can lead to....." the doctor stopped causing some of them to look at him, he look down then back up and said, "can lead to faint. All she need is a rest." he explained. They nod at him. "Mam Anna. We have to go. The nurses will check up on her later." said by the chubby young doctor, "thank you doctor." said by mae's mom, "Thank you." javy also said then they leave the room. The nurses said their goodbye to her and to Javy but more importantly to Enrique who didn't seem to notice because his attention is on Mae.

10:30pm.

Quen walk at the corridor towards the nurse station, "Uhh Miss pwede makisuyo? Can I have some hot water in this cup." he said handing the cup to the nurse who is starstruck at first then get his cup. He smile at her then she go at the back. While waiting, the other nurses take somd stolen pictures of him, "Is she your girlfriend?" one of the woman ask, her friend shove her causing her to whisper 'what?' Quen just laugh and accept the cup the moment the nurse give it to him. "Thank you." he said w/ a smile. He place the cup at the table and mix some coffee with it and give to Anna, Mae's mother. "Tita ito po oh." he said, "Thank you Enrique." she said then drink some. He sit beside Mae and Javy comes in. " I called mom, told her everything. Nag aalala na din daw kasi si Andi." he explained to them why he was out. "That's great." her mother said, then look at Quen, "You should go home. Mag pahinga na kayo. Kami na bahala dito." . He turn around and said, "I'm okay po. Kath and Javy will go home. I'll leave when she wake up." with a smile on his face. Javy know what his brother is feeling and he knows that he is just concern. If he is on his place, he will do the same. Javy and Kath give their goodbyes to them and head out. After few minutes, mae's mom get up and said, "Quen I need to leave you for awhile. May aausin lang akong mga papel sa baba." he just nod, "You can sleep on the couch if you want. may iaakyat pa naman silang isa pa." she suggested to him before heading out. He stare at her peaceful, calm face, brush the hair away from her face. He holds her hand and lift it up to his lips, then close his eyes. He let out a sigh, then put it down not letting it go. He stand up a little and kiss her on the forehead and back to his seat. He's enjoying this moment, watching the girl he loves to sleep. 'She's like an angel' he said to his mind, then smile a little. He just stare at her until he falls asleep.

***

Tuesday, 9:30am RM. 450

The couples around them are dancing slowly to the song. Her eyes is planted to his. The song is familiar but she can't define it, she know who is the people around her, can't see their faces clearly. She is blinded by this perfect moment. Her hands around his neck and his hands on her waist. They are swaying slowly, keeping every step as a memory. The surrounding is becoming very quiet, she lean her head on his chest. They are wearing mask, she look at him. His eyes are painted hazelnut brown while hers are darkbrown. "You are very beautiful tonight." he said to her, she smile as a warm feeling fill her cheeks. He pull her, closing the distance between them. He lean to her, but she slightly back away. He let go of her leaving one hand on her waist, he hold his mask and slowly remove it, but before she see who it was, her view suddenly change. Her prince chaming's face turn into a dirty white ceiling. She is confuse, she doesn't remember anything. She blink twice making sure she's not living in her dream again, then turn around. She's completely face to face to a very charming boy. She remembers her dream, then she notice that the face is familiar, its Enrique. She back away slowly, she is now confuse. She sit-up, examine the room. 'Im in the hospital?!' she ask herself, but she can't remember anything. She shake her head trying to remember what happened, but then she suddenly feel a throbbing pain in her head and she groan a little causing Quen to wake up. He immediately guide her, "Hey hey. Easy ka lang." he carefully put lay her down. Her hands still on her head, he sit beside her. "Anu nararamdaman mo?" he ask holding her shoulder, she put het hands down, "Wala naman. Nahilo lang ata ako." she lie to him, her head hurts like hell. Quen stand up then go at the ref, he came back with a bottle of water and let her drink some. "Sure kang wala kang nararamdaman?" he ask, Mae just nodded. The door opens, her brothers and mother arrive with some fruits and food. Quen help then, "Anak. Buti naman gising ka na." her mother said to her while brushing her hair, "What happened?" she ask her mom. "You passed out two days ago. Pag dating namin nasa sahig ka na." her mother explained to her. "What?! Bakit daw? Anu sabi ng doctor?!" she ask then sit-up, Quen stand beside them. Mae can see that there is something wrong, her mom's eyes are all puffy and swollen as if it cried all night. She hold mae's hand and said, "Wala anak. Pagod lang daw. You should rest more." , "I rested enough. I can go home na." she stated to her mother, "We will wait for the doctor's decision." , "But I'm fine. I don't feel anything. Bakit pa sila kailangan?" Mae is being a pain in the head again, Quen hates it when she acts this way, "Look. The good thing is that you're awake. Let's wait for the doctor just like what tita said." He said to her. She smile at him then ask for some food.

Andi and Bambi,Quen's mom, arrive along with Javy and Kath. They brought flower and fruits. Quen is outside of her room, he need some fresh air. Moments later Mae's mom along w/ his mom go out. He smile at them and on his way back to the room when they stop him. "What's wrong?" he ask them. Sadness paint all over their faces that cause him to feel a little worry. His mom give mae's mom a nod and she go back inside leaving quen and his mom. "Come on." she said putting her arm around his and they go to the chapel. No one is around, they sit down. The place is beautiful and quiet, a perfect place to think and let out your problems. His mom grab his hands and put over hers. Her hands are cold, he know something is not right. "Anak..." his mom started to get his attention, he look at her. "Quen. I know you are a brave, strong, man." she said, he don't know what his mom is talking about but he feels that he will hear something bad. "Mom what's wrong?" he ask in a low voice, "I want you to be mature about this. Everything happens for a reason. God have plans to each and everyone of us. After you hear this, I want you to stay the same, like nothing happens okay." she explained to him, he started to fee scared, "Mom what's going on? What's happening?" he ask her gripping her hand, her mom let out a sigh, "Mae is sick." He doesn't get the point, "I know. That's why she's here right? The doctors are taking good care of her." he stated but his voice is now becoming low. "Anak, not that kind of sick." she said, "Then what Ma?" he ask, his eyes becoming teary but he control it. She look at his eyes, they were the same as hers, "Mae have cancer. Brain cancer. The doctor found a tumor in her brain." she explained to him. Chill run down his spine, he let go of his mother's grip and face the altar. He can't control it, tears run down on his face, everytime he wipes it away, it still falls down. Her mom put her arm around him, he don't know what to say. He don't know what to do, the girl that he love have cancer. She might leave him without him knowing it. He can't stand that situation, seeing the girl you love suffer and there is nothing you can do. He can't accept the fact that this is real and he is not living in a dream. Tears keep on coming, his mom patting his back. He manage to stop from crying and ask, "What else did the doctor said?" , "They think na matagal na to. She doesn't sleep well and maybe this is the reason. Ang sakit daw niya any biglaan lang dumarating, at wala itong pinipili na araw o oras." she explained in a very calming voice, "Anu na mangyayari sakaniya? Does she know?" he ask w/ a little high tone. "Ayaw ipaalam ng doctor. It will lead to more pain for her. Her mom agreed w/ it." she said, he look at her, "What?! Mom she needs to know. She has the right to know." he stated, his mom hold him, "Anak pag nalaman niya lalu lang magiging malala ang sitwasyon niya. She will be sad and become depress. It can affect her brain. That's what the doctor is afraid of. Please, I told you to be mature about this.". Enrique look once again at the altar, he stare at the wooden cross with Jesus Christ nailed on it and ask, "Till how long?" his mom is shock at his question, he face her and tears started to fall again, "Mom. Gaano na lang siya katagal?". She hold him and said, "They don't know yet. They said there's a cure at the states, that's why her mom is fixing their papers right away. She is almost done. They might leave in three weeks.". Quen's eyes become wide, 'Three weeks?!?!' he shout in his mind, "No ! It can't be. Why so early? Our birthday is coming up." he reacted, "Son, she needs to be cured. We don't want her to see suffer right. Her family is doing everything they can to save her. And I will do the same if I'm on their place." she explained. He just nod. Silence fill the room, then his mother ask, "You love her don't you?" he just smile a little. "I know love when I see it. The way you look at her even when you're still kids till now. That's why I told you this, because I know you will understand." she stated to his son. She kiss him at the head and said, "Let's go back. Your sister might be looking for us." then they leave the chapel.

His brother and sister along with Mae's brothers and mother are outside waiting for them. Its 8:00pm, they are leaving. "Wait." quen said then get inside to see Mae. She is already sleeping, tears slowly fall down on hia cheek the moment he lay his eyes on her. He hold her hand, he don't know what to do. He just stare at her. He kiss her at the forehead, but this time longer. A tear fall on top of it and he back away then head out. When they reach home, he run to his room without eating some dinner. His mom said to his siblings to just leave him alone for the moment. Quen lock the door behind him and fall down on his bed, he hug one of his pillow and started to cry. Remembering everything, he roll over to the side of his bed and open his side drawer, holding onto something he get it out, its Mae's mask. He just stare into it while tears fall down on his bed till he fall asleep.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N: Comments/Suggestions :') ! ♥