epilogue.

*** 

I flicked to a new page in my notebook and glided my pen across the page:

Dear Jackie,

Okay, I admit, I've been watching you this whole time. Months and months of sitting down and maybe unsuccessfully reading your thoughts. I've been writing all the significant events in my notepad.

I've written a whole sixteen pages about your love story and I'lil attach it to this letter. I didn't include your name or even Dan's name. I don't think names are important because I bet a lot if us out there in this cold world could relate to your story.

I knew you had a crush on Dan from the day I saw it in your eyes. I eventually found out what he really did; he used people. And that was pathetic.

Sitting in the park today, watching you aand Geoff, I feel happy for you. You've finally found someone who loves you for who you are and I'm glad you see the beauty in Geoff.

I won't tell you who I am, but I will tell you that I am a character in a story, because I figured you would suspect who I was.

Okay, fine, I'll give you the first initial of my name. It's not going to matter anyway, since you'll probably never see me again.

You've taught me a lot, Jackie, and I'm grateful for that. You taught me not to waste time on people who don't appreciate you and to go out and meet new people; explore the world.

I'm going to drop out of school. You've also taught me that being someone you're not never gets you anywhere. This whole time, I've been trying to be good at school, for the sake of my parents, but I realised -  it's not right for me. I'd rather be out there, doing something to help the world, but that's just me, you know?

Anyway, I have to cut this letter short, because you and Geoff are packing up your picnic now.

Good luck with whatever else comes along in your life,

-H

---

I ripped out the seventeen pages (including the note) and shuffled them roughly on the slightly damp wood of the bench beside my leg. I placed them in a denim pouch and left it on the bench. I knew she would find it.

And then I walked away, into the horizon.

The sun was setting and I didn't look back.

******* 

Obligatory author's note: 

Hello my friends, 

That, *drumroll* is the end of  'them.'! Thank you so much for joining me on this incredible journey. Not just in the making of the book, for reading along, but behind the scenes where I have grown incredibly, exponentially to where I am now. It's been one hell of a ride, as cliche as that sounds, and I never thought I'd even finish publishing this whole book.. 

I hope I haven't lost my knack! But I have high hopes for the next one... *wink* 

Like 'H', I say, good luck with all your writing endeavours! 

Love,