30th Silence

Bago pa man makaupo sa swivel chair si Maine, biglang bumukas ang pinto at tuloy-tuloy na pumasok sa opisina ni Maine si Alden.

"Great that you're he-"

He quickly pulled her into a tight embrace before Maine could finish her words. She could sense the urgency and loneliness brought by her absence from him. Buong gabi din hindi nakatulog si Maine sa pag-aalala dito. She remembered that night when Alden dropped on the floor and cried at the thought that she left his house. It was a very saddening picture. Ayaw niyang maulit pa iyon. But she needed to get lost from the moment. Kailangan niyang pag-isipan ang gagawin para kay Alden. She can't be with him forever and he needed to be aware of that.

"This will be my last therapy session of you, Alden. After this, you're cured from SM. You will not be needing Dra. Capili anymore," pilit niyang sabi sa pagitan ng yakap nito.

Alden just hugged her tightly instead of saying anything. And Maine hugged him in response.

He's aware of it... Sabi niya sa isipan. He knew that this day will come.

---

Alden and Maine were both silent as they stay seated on that mini sofa in Maine's office. They both looked like they wanted to stop time. Inayos na lang ni Maine ang vase na may mga rosas na nasa coffee table bago inumpisahan ang huling session nila ni Alden.

She placed that same picture of Bea on the coffee table and she immediately noticed the twitch on Alden's eyes. This time, it wasn't as painful as he looked months ago.

"I am going to take you down on your past, Alden." Bigla itong napatingin sa kanya sabay kunot ng noo. "Talk to me if you want to say something."

Napalunok ito saglit bago nagsalita. "When did I successfully stopped you from remembering my past?"

Napangiti saglit si Maine at the thought. "Good point. I need you to be really honest to me this time."

His lips just formed into a straight line as he waited for her next words.

"When you see this picture..." tukoy niya sa nakangiting picture ni Bea. "What do you really feel?"

"Hate," mariin nitong sagot.

"Because you feel betrayed by her..." He nodded at her words. "Now, aren't you glad to be alive and be able to meet me?"

His gaze slowly became suspicious at her. "There is nothing grateful in my life after that accident...  until you came."

"Who pushed you out on that wrecked car?"

Nagtagis ang mga bagang ni Alden sa narinig. "I don't owe my life to that bitch!" he growled.

"If she didn't do it, you will not be living right now," kalmado pa ring sabi ni Maine.

"I'm not exactly living in the past 12 years since her death." His eyes were seething at her. His grip on the couch felt like he's going to skin the leather out. "There is always nothing good when we talk about Bea."

But Maine remained compose and calm about the topic. "Who is Bea to you?"

"Someone I wish I didn't meet."

"No. What is her relationship to you?"

Hindi makasagot si Alden sa tanong. Instead, he gave Maine a threatening glare.

"Ako na ang sasagot para sayo," aniya in her still calm voice. "She is your ex-lover. She was once the only woman in your life you're ready to give your world with. At such a young age, you saw her as the only girl you want to spent the rest of your life with. You were once head over heals in love with her-"