28th Silence

Matagal ng nakaalis si Ryza pero lahat ng sinabi nito ay paulit-ulit na pumapasok sa isip ni Maine. She wanted to think everything thoroughly. Pero nanatili siya at hinintay si Alden na dumating. Because running away will not solve anything.

Malapad ang ngiting pumasok si Alden sa bahay nito. Amoy pawis ito dahil nagmamadali itong umuwi for Maine. But his smile immediately flopped upon seeing her nerve-wracking expression.

"I'm sorry I'm late..." Hinging-tawad agad nito. He took a step near her and she unconsciously stepped back. It instantly bothered Alden. "Maine? What's the matter?"

"Until when will you act mute, Alden?" aniya habang nakatingin ng diretso dito.

Hindi agad nakasagot si Alden. Instead, he was looking at her as if he was seeking for an answer to her question. Mayamaya, nilapag nito ang dalang cake sa coffee table at tinignan siya ng maigi. "Why the sudden question?"

"Because I think you don't need my profession anymore. Your true state only requires occasional guidance. I feel like I'm playing right now while getting paid. What I can do to your state from this moment on is not worth the money you're paying me."

"It's fine as long a you're with me."

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why do you love me?"

The creased on Alden's forehead smoothen as he sincerely gazed back on Maine. "Because you make me at ease, Maine. You understand me when no one can. You listened to me when no one don't." He smiled lovingly at her. "You just lightened my dark world, Maine. And I'm drawn to it."

Please say I don't look like Bea. Please say I'm more than just a lifebuoy. Paulit-ulit na mantra ito ni Maine sa isipan. Alden frowned again at the fear registering on Maine's face. 

"Is that it?" mahinahong tanong ni Maine dito. "When you look at me, is that all you can think?"

Alden smiled and answered, "You're pretty."

"What makes me pretty?"

"Your eyes... I feel a sense of familiarity in them."

Parang binuhusan ng mainit na tubig si Maine sa narinig. She kept on thinking that Alden see her as the kind of Bea that he wished to have. The good Bea that isn't tainted by the greed of money. She should have run away from Alden that day on the street. She should have not forgotten what she said on that day that having a relationship more than a doctor-patient doesn't hold any bright future. 

Ryza was right. The Psychiatrist in her was right. Alden subconsciously misses Bea, his first love. When he can't look at Bea's picture, when he can't step on the orphanage, when he can't let Ryza go... and even his feelings for Maine are all because he's not yet over with Bea. Ano pa bang parte ni Maine ang nakapagpapaalala rito kay Bea? Is it her scent? Her attitude?

Mabilis na sinalo siya ni Alden ng biglang siyang panghinaan. Niyakap niya ito ng mahigpit na mas lalong nagpalito kay Alden. 

"Hug me..." pagmamakaawa niya rito. "Hold me tight please?"

Alden wrapped his arms around her waist and held her tightly. He patted her back to put her at ease. "You can trust me with your problems too, Maine," he said. "I can't help you as much as you help me. But you can depend on me. Pagkatiwalaan mo din naman ako."

Hindi umimik si Maine. She just savor his warmth that gave her comfort amid her tears. Nasasaktan siya ng sobra. This might be the last time she can get close to him because she is not helping him anymore. Naging ka-accomplice na siya nito sa pagtago ng katotohanan. Worst, she's falling for a man who's looking for a lifebuoy. He likes her because she's the only person that understands him. He's attracted to her because her eyes is familiar to that of Bea's. His love for her is a false feeling brought by it all!

"I don't want you to be sad, Maine," anito. "You're the only person that truly hears me. You make me happy and laugh soundly. When everyone's giving me misery, you pulled me out of it and give me a reason to enjoy life. Why I love you can't be justified by words. But if I have to say my reasons of why I love you..." Pinilit siya nitong iharap dito at ikulong ang mukha niya sa magkabilang kamay. "When I stare in your brown eyes, I sense a familiar feeling of home that I read in books. When I hold you like this, it gives me a secure feeling of happiness and graces. When I smell your scent, it provides me a calm feeling more than a tea can provide. You personifies the risk that I wanted to have. You excite me and bring me peace at the same time. You are a family, a friend, and a lover mold into one. You're the person I wish I met before Bea. You're the woman I am wishing to have for the rest of my life. I know I don't deserve you but I can't help falling for you for all those reasons. Because, Maine, life is as sweet as candy when you're at my side."

Ngumiti ito at napangiti naman agad siya. Just by that sentence, You're the person I wish I met before Bea, secured her that she is not a shadow of his first love. Mali si Ryza. Mali si Jake. Mali ang doktora sa katauhan niya. Even if Bea holds a special part in Alden, Maine is still the woman of his now and tomorrow. She should trust him as much as he trusted her. Because he clearly loves her even more than she loves him.

"Thank you..." she finally uttered and kissed him on the lips. He welcomed it with a smile before kissing her back down. Now, the storm clouds hanging between them were slowly easing out for a bright sky in her mind. 

She trusts this man.

She loves this man.

And he feels the same way towards her.

Sincerely and genuinely.

Look back on the past but take a step towards the future, she told herself.

---

Nagulat si Alden ng pagpatak ng alas-dos, hindi si Maine ang nakaabang sa labas ng pinto kundi isang doktor na lalaki. Isasara niya sana ang pinto pero agad itong pumasok.

"May emergency meeting si Dra. Capili kaya ako muna ang papalit saa kanya. Pagtiisan mo na lang muna," anito sabay lahad ng kamay. "I'm Dr. Louise Ocampo, a colleague of Dra. Capili."

Nagtagis ang mga bagang ni Alden habang titig na titig sa palad ng doktor. No matter what kind of emergency that was, she should have told him. Akala niya ba okay na sila kahapon?

Napangiti na lang si Louise at his blatant rejection. Kung tutuusin sa postura nito, akalain mong mamamasyal ito sa mall kesa magsagawa ng therapy session.

"We're actually on the same vibe, Mr. Faulkerson. I only want to counsel pretty girls and you look like you want to be with Dra. Capili." The rugged doctor shrugged. "Pero kailangan kong tanggapin ang pabor na hiningi ni Maine. I have no choice but to honor that. Kung may reklamo ka, doon ka sa head ng department namin magalit."

"What kind of emergency is it?"

"If you want to know then let me do my job first," nakangiti nitong saad.

---

Huminga ng malalim si Maine ng pinindot niya ang pinakamataas na palapag ng gusali. Paglabas niya ng elevator, agad na binati siya ng isang lady assistant at iginaya siya papasok sa isang malaking pinto na yari sa kahoy. 

Before stepping inside the richly decorated office, she took another deep breath again. Because the person who called her here isn't someone that can put her at ease. Kaya kailangan niyang tatagan ang sarili.

The lady patiently waited for her to step inside before shutting the door close. The old man looked at her expectantly before gesturing the seat in front of him. Parang tumayo lahat ng balahibo niya sa likod at how cold his stares are. But just like how brave she faced Alden, ganun din siya katatag ngayon.

She smiled and held her hand towards him. "It's nice to meet you again, Mr. Richards."