20th Silence

Alden insisted on keeping her company while she waited for her flight time. Nang sa wakas bumukas na ang terminal sa flight number niya, biglang pinigilan siya ni Alden na umalis. She settled down on her seat and asked him his problem.

Stay... she read his message.

Can you stay with me?

"Why?"

Because I want to.

"I can't ask a refund if I cancel my flight."

It's not that.

Hinintay niya itong matapos sa binubuong message. She has this feeling that what he's asking was more than prolonging her stay in Kyoto. When she received his message, once again, butterflies invaded her feelings.

Don't accept my plea of changing to a new Psychiatrist. I actually want you to stay with me. Because with you, the world looks so beautiful. I can't be happy yet with you, you make me feel like its alright.

I'm scared that one day I'll get so use to your presence I can never let you go. I know after this happiness, misery will follow. I keep telling myself that it's better that you hate me now than me hating you in the future. I can't afford to take another risk. Once is enough.

But what if I'll regret such decision in the future? What if I wanted to change my choice and when I decided to do so... like you said, I might be too late? What if the kind of misery I'll suffer for being a coward is that I can't see you anymore? What if I wanted to go near you but you're nowhere to be found? I really wanted to hide in this world I created. But after everything, it's unbearable to go back. 

I don't know where my regrets can take me. But I should just throw my caution away like you do every time. That way I can take risks as brave as when you jumped into the pool last night. 

He smiled at the memory. That was such an enlightenment for him.

I am willing to start again, Maine. Can you stay and bear the risk?

Maine's heart skipped a beat. This was what she wanted from the start, for Alden to express himself freely. Sobra siyang natutuwa that after his attempts of bringing her down to his misery, eh ito pa mismo ang lalabas sa sariling lungga at handang makibagay sa kanya. But...

"Hindi tamang iasa mo sakin ang paggaling mo, Alden."

You told me it's a choice to cure myself. I'm making my own choice right now. It just so happened you serve as my inspiration. Don't you want to heal me?

Walang mapaglalagyan ng tuwa si Maine ngayon. Ang aga-aga at naambunan  na agad siya ng grasya. She really wanted to cure him no matter how thick-headed he was. At ngayon na ito na mismo ang nag-representa na susubukang maki-cooperate sa kanya, why should she say no?

"In the future, even if you beg and kneel on you knees to change to another Psychiatrist, I can have the power to say no?"

Tumango ito at ngumiti. Napangiti din siya sa tuwa na para bang naging ka-level na niya si Wonderwoman.

"I can't stay here in Kyoto anymore, Alden. I have two other patients that needs my care. Pagbalik mo sa Pinas, let's discuss this matter again."

Tumango lang ito at mahigpit siyang niyakap before letting her go. What a good day to go home with a fresh start.

---

Pagkatapos ng therapy session ni Maine sa pasyente niyang highschooler ay dumiretso siya papasok sa opisina. Laking gulat niya ng biglang napuno ng baskets of roses ang mesa niya. Dali siyang lumabas at tinawag ang sekretarya upang itanong kung sino ang nagpadala.