26th Silence

Author: Before anything else, I like to say THANK YOU for listening to my plea. You're all so considerate kasi inintindi niyo ang "pagmamaktol" ko. Wala akong idea paano dumami ang readers nito in such a short time. But if there's someone who spread a word about this story "out there", I like to say from the bottom of my bituka THANK YOU!!! The teleserye suggestion though... haha it's too much for me. :)

Read&Enjoy!

---

Patakbong lumabas sa apartment building si Maine at agad na pumara ng taxi. Patuloy ang pag-agos ng luha niya mula ng makatanggap siya ng emergency call sa phone. Halos mabitawan na nga niya ang phone sa tindi ng panginginig ng kamay niya.

Oh, Lord, please take him away from danger... dasal niya habang papunta sa isang private hospital.

The taxi wasn't fully stop when she stepped out of it, leaving the bills on her seat as fare. Mabilis na dumiretso siya sa nurse station and along the way, she witnessed the outcome of the reported highway accident. Hindi magkandaugaga ang mga nurse and doctor sa pag-alalay ng mga biktima lalo na iyong mga matindi ang injuries. Everywhere, she could see stains of blood. Kaya mas lalo siyang napahikbi. What if he ends up much worse than the people out here?

Mabilis na ibinigay niya sa nurse ang pangalan ng tatay niya and scanned the whole area after knowing he wasn't brought in the ER.

Nawalan ng preno ang isang ten-wheeler truck and wrecked the nearby cars and jeeps in front of it. Her father's car wasn't exactly right in front of it but the crash was like a domino effect since the road was a bit inclined. Worst, her father's wife informed her that it was a bus that bumped into her father's auto.

As she searched for him, she regretted for not taking an effort to get close with her father. Their relationship was more like an acquaintance than a father-daughter treatment. It's like one-fourth of her closeness with her grandmother. This moment made her realize that she should have earn some courage rather than wasting time especially when her father isn't getting younger anymore. This made her cry at the possibility that she might be too late now for that.

Halos tumalon ang puso niya sa sakit ng makita ang umiiyak niyang stepmom habang inaalo ang walang malay niyang tatay. She immediately asked for his current condition and got frustrated. Inis na pinigilan niya ang dumaang nurse and demanded for her father to be treated right away.

But the nurse declined. "Sorry, ma'am. Pero inuuna po namin ang mga malubha ang tama sa aksidente."

"Hindi ba siya mukhang malubha sa inyo?! He lost consciousness because of pain!"

Tinignan nito sandali ang ama niya bago siya sinagot. "His chart says he doesn't have serious damage, ma'am. Gagamutin din namin ang tatay niyo. Pakihintay na lang po saglit."

With that, the nurse ran to assist a nearby doctor. Nag-aalalang tinignan ni Maine ang ama at mahigpit na hinawakan ang kamay nito. He was already given first-aid but that doesn't mean he's far from danger. Ang putla kasi ng mukha nito.

"Konting tiis lang, tay. Magagamot din kayo," bulong niya rito sabay halik sa pisngi nito. Hinawakan din niya ng mahigpit ang kamay ng stepmom niya para maibsan ang takot nito. Mayamaya, sunod-sunod na ungol ang lumabas sa bibig ng tatay niya sa iniinda nitong sakit. Agad na humingi ng tulong si Maine sa mga medic pero hindi siya pinansin. She couldn't think properly anymore. She tried calling a fellow colleague if he could help her find a doctor in this hospital but he wasn't answering. She tried calling a few times but lost hope.