Chapter 14

The sun rays teased her eyes. She tried to cover her face but in vain. She decided to wake up. She was puzzled; as far as she remembered she had fallen as sleep on the mattress so how did she end up on her bed.

Grace jumped out of the bed and went to the balcony. No one was there, not even the mattress. She ran downstairs and found her mama and grannies in the kitchen preparing something.

"Hey mama," she said as she hugged Gish from behind.

"Hey baby, already up?" Gish asked patting her head.

"Yeah, good morning grannies." Grace greeted them and they both laughed loud.

Aunt Joel tried to stop laughing, "ohh honey it's lunch time."

Grace was shocked, she rose her head and looked at the kitchen's clock. It said 13. 00 pm. She gasped.

"OMG, mama it's so late. Why didn't you wake me up?" Grace asked.

"Grace its fine and it's Sunday so relax. I have prepared corn chicken soup since we had stuffed all junk food yesterday. So we'll have light lunch okay?" Gish said.

"Uhm but what about Ed and Theo?" She asked.

"Edwardo and Theo woke up early, they put you on your bed and then they wanted to get home but they are going to join us for lunch. They should be here any moment now. Go freshen up meanwhile we'll set the table." Aunt Perry said.

Few minutes later Grace came downstairs and saw Edwardo and Theo were already seated at the dining table.

"Hello doll, had a good sleep?" Edwardo asked.

"Euhh I guess ya since I woke up kind of 15 minutes earlier." Grace grimaced.

"Haha, now please get a seat and let's eat, okay?" Gish said.

Once lunch was over, Robert and grannies sat in the garden while Gish and Edwardo cleaned the table.

"Theooooo," Grace yelled in the living room.

"Why are you screaming Grace, I was in the garden with grannies." Theo said as he entered the living room.

"The weather is so beautiful, let's go cycling.. pleaseee," Grace pleaded.

"Okay let's go," Theo didn't even try to protest.

"Mama Theo and I are going cycling, we'll be back soon." Grace shouted as she went to the backyard to fetch the bicycles.

"Okay honey," Gish replied.

The bike lane in Avenida Paulista was quiet and peaceful for a Sunday afternoon. Grace and Theo rode for 3 hours now.

"Grace lets get to the bench, I need to straighten my legs." Theo motioned Grace to the wooden bench in the nearby park.

They parked their bikes against the bench and sat for about thirty minutes.

"I love this weather," Grace said as a cold breeze caressed her cheeks.

"I know Miss Gracina Gracienta Dwarnier, uhmm it's gonna get dark soon let's move." Theo suggested.

Grace nodded, "okay Mr Alexander Theoline Corvet," she said as she followed Theo with her bike. Theo was on his bike just in front of her. Grace tried to reach for his waist to tickle him but she accidentally bumped into a lamppost letting out a small cry out of pain. Theo turned to look at her and unfortunately he stumbled over a rock and lost balance over his bike causing him to end in the middle of the road. At that very moment he noticed a car coming straight over him in full speed. Grace screamed on top of her voice. Theo had nearly reached the pavement but the brisk movement of the car past his bike made him lose balance and he fell down.

Grace ran to Theo and tried to get him up. The car stopped a few inches from them and the driver came to them.

"Are you blind? Couldn't you see such a big car coming?" The driver shouted at Theo pointing to the car.

"Are you blind? Couldn't you see a human being on a bike in the middle of the road or new BMWs do not have slow down and brake system?" Grace replied angrily pointing out to the car.

"Useless kids," the driver said and marched backwards to get to the car.

"You have no heart? He could have ended beneath your car damn it!! Instead of being sorry and helping you are treating us as useless!!" Grace burst out. Tears sprang from her eyes as she held Theo on her lap trying to stop the bleeding from his forehead.

The passenger door opened. A man came out. He was dressed in tailored suits and pants. He had blue shades on but Grace could feel that his eyes were focused on them.

"Get in the car, we'll get your friend medical help." He said in an authoritative tone.

"Keep your fake generosity and kind heart pretence to yourself. I can take care of him on my own." Grace said firmly.

She reached to her pockets and removed her phone; the battery was dead. She searched that of Theo and soon saw it on the road in a crushed state. She sighed, what was she going to do?

The man in front of her now folded his arms and was tapping his feet impatiently. Grace looked at him and rolled her eyes.

"That's it, Davis get these two in the car and if they resist let them die on the road itself." He said bitterly to another man who got out of the car while his driver and him got inside.

The man whom he called Davis approached us.

"Look my child your friend needs help, we'll drop you to the nearest hospital and on the way I can lend you my phone to call whoever you want, okay?" Davis said.

Grace looked at Theo and it was obvious that he needed medical help quickly. The bleeding was not stopping and he was becoming weak. Grace gazed at Davis and nodded.

They helped Theo in the car and got in themselves. Grace sat next to the man with tailored clothes with Theo beside her. She was in a mess, she knew and didn't care. Davis who sat next to the driver's seat gave Grace his phone and she hurriedly dialed Gish's number.

Gish answered and Grace told her everything. As Grace tried to support Theo with one hand the phone nearly slipped from her grip but she managed to get hold of it and accidentally it went on speakers.

"We'll be there honey, don't worry, we are coming, stay calm." Gish said and the line went dead.

The man besides her jerked.

"Who was that woman you talked to on the phone?" He asked suddenly sounding lost.

"How does that matter to you?" Grace asked drily.

At that very moment the car pulled at the entrance of the hospital. Davis helped Theo out and Grace hurriedly got off too. She thanked Davis and Grace made her way inside when Davis abruptly stopped her.

"My dear, this is our sir's business card. Once your friend feels better do let us know. The numbers you can contact are the last ones. Take care." With those words Davis regained his seat.

Grace looked at the car to find his face still on severe mode. How can a humble person like Davis work for someone like him. He is so rude, we even traveled together but he didn't even enquire about Theo and I and not even apologize on behalf of his driver. How mean! Grace thought.

"Are you alright sir?" Davis asked in the car.

"I am Davis, it's just that this girl intrigued me and that voice over the speaker seemed familiar." He replied still confused as the car drove away from the hospital.

Grace didn't even look at the card in her hand. She threw it away and hurriedly took Theo inside.

A child playing in the hospital compound found the card and read aloud, 《Mr Graciento Capello》, then he blabbed the numbers on it and threw it away too.