Chapter XVII - We're not having sex

Chapter XVII - We’re not having sex

“When people hurt you over and over, think of them like sandpaper. They may scratch and hurt you a bit, in the end, you end up polished, and they end useless” -Andy Biersack

August 2014

“River, how many times do I have to tell you not to pick up snakes? What if it was poisonous and you had gotten bitten?”

“But I didn’t, see no bite marks” River says showing me his hands with a proud smile onto his face, making everyone else at the table laugh.

“I know that, but please, don’t go picking up anymore snakes.” I exclaim shaking my head at my son.

I don’t know how many times i’m going to have to tell him not to pick up snakes. This kid has a strange fascination with reptiles.   

“I will if you get me a pet snake” he replies with a puppy dog look onto his face, batting his eyelashes at me.

“Oh hell fucking no, you are not letting him have a pet snake!” Piper exclaims pointing at me.

“Language Piper.” Damon says gesturing his head to the boys, who are each setting on side of him. They have hardly left his side since he got here.

She just lets out a huff, setting back in her chair, pushing her empty plate away from her.

“River, I won’t let you have a pet snake. I hate snakes, they are dangerous, and a lot of work. I’m sure you dad won’t let you have one either.” I say looking across the table at Damon with raised eyebrows.

“She’s right Riv, they cost a lot of money and aren’t a pet you want. Besides you have Spotter as your pet. You don’t want him getting bitten do you?”

“Yeah, snakes are bad” Diesel pipes in, stuffing his face with his burger and crisp.

“No” he mumbles taking a bite of his hot dog.

“Okay then, there’s your answer.” Damon replies ending the conversion looking at me with raised eyebrows.

I just nod my head and mouth ‘good one’ before returning to finishing up my dinner.

“Hey Damon, where are you staying tonight?” Carter asks throwing his paper plate into the rubbish bin.

“I was planning on staying in the hotel that I was at last night. Why?” He replies whilst chugging down his pop.