CAUGHT OF GUARD: CHAPTER SIXTY-TWO

MAIN CHARACTER 👆🏾

COLE💕

I barreled into the lobby and came to an abrupt halt, realizing I had no idea what part of the hospital Khalil was in by now, and it was a big hospital.

I asked where someone with Khalil's injuries would be brought and was directed to Trauma by a receptionist who eyed my bloody shirt as she pointed the way unfazed; I guess a sight like that wasn't too uncommon in the ER.

On the way to Trauma, I found Tyson, Dave and Dave's mom, all looking frustrated. The trio informed me that they wouldn't let us in to see Khalil or tell us anything about his condition.

After introducing me to Dave's mom, we all huddled together and decided to go see if we could find Khalil anyway, to hell with their rules. We followed the signs and tried to act casual-- me with my bloody shirt, Tyson's torn shirt, and all our visible bruises-- finally finding the waiting room in Trauma, along with Ben and Lydia.

They looked drained and very worried, eyes red from tears, and my heart just sank to my feet. I realized just how much I loved them already. I had never in my life felt this kind of emotional pain for anyone, besides Khalil, I felt sympathy and empathy for them. To see the agony in their eyes, knowing it was all because of me, brought on a kind of hurting that I had never experienced. It was SO hard for me to look either of them in the eye.

Dave ran to Lydia, almost knocking her over as he hugged her. Tyson stepped up and hugged Ben, who hugged him back. They buried their faces in one another's shoulders and I felt all kinds of guilty. Dave's mom stood quietly off to the side, almost mixed in with the other people waiting for word of a loved one.

I shuffled over by Lydia and timidly asked as I eyed the floor, glancing up guiltily, "How is he?"

Lydia spoke around Dave's shoulder, "He's having another CAT scan right now, but they're saying it looks like he's going to be ok. He's conscious and alert. They sewed his wound up with twenty-six stitches."

"So he's gonna be... alright?" I asked cautiously.

Lydia looked unfocused for a moment, like she was trying to gather up all the things she'd heard to this point and put them in perspective, then she said, "Well, they think so, but it's too early to tell a lot of things... like any long term things..."

Dave spoke my thoughts, "I can't believe this all happened."

She released Tyson and stepped back a bit to get us all in her vision. She ran her thumb over Ty's bruised cheek, sounding more hurt than mad as she said, "Well, nobody ever expects anything bad to happen when they sneak around. I'm so very upset with all of you! You all lied to us, and look what happened. Any one of you could have been killed and Khalil could have-- if..." she choked on the words, bringing the back of her hand to her lips to stifle a sob.

Dave, Tyson and I all hung our heads, so ashamed of ourselves. I stammered, "I'm so sorry! God, I'm so sorry! I'll never forgive myself for letting..."

Dave cut me off, blurting out, "It was all my fault, Mom!" He probably didn't even realize he called Lydia 'Mom' in front of his real mother; she was behind me, so I didn't see her reaction to this. "I'm the one who talked Cole into it. He didn't wanna lie to you, but me 'n Khalil kept pushing him to. And, and, Tyson didn't even know we were gonna do it like this, and-- I'm SO SORRY!" he cried, then added, "I didn't think anything like this could happen!"