CAUGHT OFF GUARD: CHAPTER TEN

MAIN CHARACTER 👆🏾

KHALIL💕

"Bruh, haven't you heard about that nigga? He's gay , a fucking fag."

I already knew but I didn't care. I looked back at the table to see my tutor sitting at the table playing with his straw.

"He's my tutor not my date to prom. He's going to help me pass history. Besides he seems like a nice guy."

''Yeah, until he makes a pass at you." Travis looked at the table. "If I were you I'd dump him and get another tutor. Maybe you should get a chick. Somebody with tits. Not man tits and defintly not a fag."

I looked back at the table it was true Khalil did have man boobs but it made him look soft and feminine and even more attractive.

"Dude, I think I can make my own decisions. I don't need you to make them for me. I turned to return to the table when Travis placed a hand on my shoulder and stopped me in my tracks.

"Dude think about it. What will everyone at school say when they find out you're hanging out with him?" I shrugged off Barry's hand.

I was never the type of person to care about what others thought of me. If Khalil was gay, like I knew he was that wasn't a reason to stop associating with him.

"You let me worry about that, okay?" I was getting angry.

"Do you want to be known as a fag lover?" Travis said trying to talk sense into me. I pushed Travis against the wall pinning him with my arms against his neck.

"Stop using that word. Show some respect," I tried to keep my voice down but I could tell Khalil heard every word.

"Fuck you Cole," he said breaking my hold on him.

Others in the restaurant heard the commotion and the noise level dropped. "I didn't know you were a fag lover." Travis said walking away.

The manager of the restaurant came up to me with a couple of bags,"I made your order to-go. I think it's best if you and your friend left. Don't worry about the bill. It's on the house."

I looked at the man in disbelief, "I'm sorry sir. I didn't mean to cause a scene."

"It's okay son, some people will never learn. " He looked towards the door. "You better hurry if you're going to catch your friend." I looked towards the door to see it close. I quickly looked back to the now empty table.

"Khalil." I took the bags from the manager and quickly shot out the door.

I looked around and finally saw Khalil sitting on the corner bus stop. I approached him slowly. His head was down and it looked like he was crying. I silently sat down next to him.

"Hey." 

Khalil glanced at me and then looked down again. "Hey," he said as he tried to hide his tears.

I released a heavy sigh. "I'm sorry you had to hear that. Berry is a jerk." 

Khalil didn't respond.

We sat for a few minutes in silence. Finally Khalil spoke,

"It just hurts you know?" The tears started again. "If you want I can get my friend Ciarra to come, she has an A in history and I'm sure she won't mind. I don't want you to lose your popularity over me ."

I opened the bag from the restaurant and pulled out a napkin, "Here," I said handing it to him. "Just so you know, it doesn't matter to me. I don't care what the people at school say. I've never cared what they thought. All I know is that I'm failing in school and I need help." He wiped his eyes. "What's it like? I mean, to be gay?" I asked.

Khalil straightened his body and sat up.

"It's as normal to me as breathing is and its not as glamorous as people make it seems I've been beat down and bullied because of it ." Khalil let out a chuckle. I didn't know how to comfort him.

I wanted to fix the situation but had no clue as what the next step should be. I struggled with my thoughts as the city bus pulled up to the stop. Khalil stood and waited while others climbed down from the bus.

"Please don't go." I said.

"Maybe your friend Travis is right. Maybe you really should get someone else to tutor you." I stood.

"Don't you get it? I don't care if you're gay." I whispered. " I just want to pass my classes and from what you taught me last night I think you're the one to help me. Please?"

Khalil stood at the doors of the bus. "Young man, are you coming or not?" The lady bus driver called out.