CAUGHT OFF GUARD: CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

MAIN CHARACTER 👆🏾

KHALIL💕

"Time to get ready for school!" Mom used her singsong voice.

"Ok. Be out in a minute."

My hands trembled as I brushed my hair in the mirror on my closet door. I had dark circles and bags under my eyes. 'Man, I look like shit,' I thought to myself. 'And I still don't need a shave.'

It was so strange; there was the euphoria of driving to school in my beautiful, 'sexy' new car, that would "Leave the others chasing shadows!" as they said in their ads, if anything I was crushed, by the fear of seeing Cole.

What would happen if I saw him? What would I do? How would HE act? Would he act like he didn't know me?

Fortunately, we didn't share any classes, and I knew there'd been many days over the course of the year, when I didn't see him all day at school-- with 3,500 students, the school was big enough that it was easily possible. Maybe I could get through the day without seeing him.

Maybe I could get through the day.

A couple of people looked at me, in my sparkling new car, when I cruised into the parking lot, but none of them knew me. Nobody knew me. I don't know what possessed me, what I thought might happen, but I parked right next to Cole's car.

I had a flash picture in my mind, of arriving at our cars at the same time to leave, and me throwing a smug smile at him, like, 'I got something to take my mind off of you. Here you are, all rich and everything, but I got the same fucking car, so there!' I could be so childish-- but I knew also, that I wouldn't be able to pull off that immature little game if that encounter actually happened.

I knew he'd already been there for an hour or so, for basketball practice.

I forced the vision of Cole, sweaty and shirtless with black trim basketball out of my mind, and braced myself to go in through building D. Coach was my homeroom teacher. I was pretty early, as I still had the bus schedule for a habit. He looked surprised to see me.

"Well, if it isn't Khalil! I'm glad you deigned to grace us with your presence! I was surprised to hear you were sick. You never miss school!" He was his usual jovial self, even early in the morning.

I blushed a little and smiled, "Um, I was..." I hadn't expected anyone to notice I was missing, and didn't actually know if my mom had told the office I had a cold or what. As I approached his desk, he looked at me and his smile faded.

"Jeez, you look like you should still be at home, Khalil."

"I'm fine, coach."

"Good. It's good to have you back!" His smile returned with a vengeance. He made me feel better. I thought about how I used to fantasize about him, so tall, built and sexy, with those dark eyes and warm smile his features overflowing him with warmth and humor. He was somewhere in his late twenties. I didn't know if he was aware of it, but he just exuded sensuality, like he'd be a romantic and tender lover. I could dream!