CAUGHT OFF GUARD: CHAPTER FOUR

MAIN CHARACTER 👆🏾

KHALIL💕

He said that his parents let him have the whole basement to himself. Everything was amazing. He even had a pool table and several lights that really lit up the large space. it was nothing like I ever seen 

But of course he had a separate bedroom of which he slept in and that's what really amazed me

But of course he had a separate bedroom of which he slept in and that's what really amazed me. Like everything else, his room wasn't anything like mine. My room was covered with nerdy star wars characters. His was covered with movie posters.  

He had two framed pictures of cars in motion, a movie poster with five teenagers leaning over each other and a trio of athletes frozen in mid victory. A wide dresser supported a parade of gold color people all mounted on sports trophies from baseball, to basketball, to track, to football and even weightlifting.

 A wide dresser supported a parade of gold color people all mounted on sports trophies from baseball, to basketball, to track, to football and even weightlifting

I walked around taking it all of the "maleness" of the entire space. A small bathroom was to the left of the bedroom. The vanity was full of soaps colognes and lotions.

The room was like an alien planet to me. There was nothing that wasn't jock, butch or alpha male in or around this guy. I mean even his baseball alarm clock screamed "IMMA NIGGA". How could I ever think that this boy was anything but straight?

"So watcha think" he said sitting down on the weight bench on the other side of the bed. The sweaty clothes draped over the side of size 30 weights showed how much he used it.

I knew what he was asking of course. I don't know how it was with girls but there is nothing more sacred than a man's room. It is the only area in the whole house where you can make it entirely your own. So therefore, there is nothing more telling us who he is than his own room, but you had to know how to read it and I knew how to read it.

The cars in the picture wasn't an indication of wealth but the desire to want to get out because the mustang was movement and speed. The football players on the posters was about his desire and his drive to do better and the person he wanted to become someday. I noticed that they all were black good looking and built, but not too built, but you could tell that they had muscles much like Cole.

They were the same sport star I would have picked to put on my wall. I also noticed that even though they were superstars none of them was a celebrity outside of their sports. Unlike some people who uses their professional athleticism as some sort of springboard for something more, these people were known for sports and sports only.

But If anything, the movie poster had me puzzled. I mean sure everyone has seen the movie doesn't matter what year it came out. The movie defined what being in high school was about. It spoke of different people forced to spend time together and realizing they had more in common than they ever knew.

Real life didn't work like that though. Even if it had, the spell would have been broken Monday and no one would admit anything out loud. Finding the poster in one of the most popular boys room was puzzling. It being right above his bed meant that it was the prime of his room. To think that he watched the same movie meant that the real him wanted to be heard but who was the real him?

"I love that movie" I said looking over my shoulder smiling.

"So which one of them are you?". He shot back

The question was simple, but to me it was hard as hell. If you say the the jock you're trying to say that you're in better shape the everyone else. If you say the princess, then you're a bitch. If you say the criminal, then you think you're cooler than you really are. If you say the nerd, you think you're smarter than everyone else. If you say the basket case than your hiding something. There was no right answer so I chose the simplest one.

"None of them I guess" I lied, putting my book bag down on his bed. "So wanna get started?"