Chapter 17

Chapter 17: Telling The Truth

We walked into the studio and both of our teams were sitting around and talking.

"Why are we ALL here?" one of them asked.

I looked up at Dawson and he was already looking at me smiling.

"You can do this," he said.

"What's going on?" Someone else asked.

"I have to tell you guys something. It's something I have been hiding for years. I've been so scared to tell you because I had no idea what your reaction was going to be. I still don't know how to explain it so I'm going to show you instead."

They were all looking at me and Dawson helped me take my hoodie off. He held my hoodie and I started taking my bracelets off one by one and giving them to Dawson.  When he held all of my bracelets I held out my arms for both teams to see. I heard gasps coming from all of them and they started looking at me in shock.

"I wanted to tell you," I said, "but I didn't know how. My dad's the only one who has ever known. Music started becoming an outlet, but it couldn't make the pain go away. By that time I couldn't stop. It's the one reason I have ever worn these bracelets. It was easier wearing them then trying to cover up the scars with makeup. I tried that a couple times and I had to tell people it was my cat....even though I never had one."

I saw a couple people smile at me and Dawson put his arm around me for support.

"She told me this morning," Dawson said, "And I want all of us to help her. She needs all of us to be supporting her if she's going to be able to successfully stop cutting."

His parents were the first people to stand up.

"I will do anything I can to help," his mom said.

"Me too," his dad agreed.

Both of our teams started to slowly stand up and agree. His manager was the last one. He walked up to both of us and looked down at my scars before looking back to Dawson and I. 

"We will always be here," he said, "I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we will do everything we can to help you."

"Thank you," I said and hugged him. They all sat back down and we all started talking.

 "We can up with a new plan on the way over here," Dawson said.

"And what is that?" his manager asked.

"We want to change the video," I said, "But only a little. I want to take off my bracelets for the video. The video would look better if I didn't wear them."

"But they will see the scars?" his mom said.

"I know," I said, "Admitting I have a problem is the first step right? It has been killing me hiding all of this from you guys. The more I hid it the more I cut because I felt so bad. I can't hide it from my fans too. I want to tell them, but at the awards. We can change the video and I can tell them before we premiere it."

"I have a better idea," his manager said, "There's is a pre-show to the awards. There is a big section of that where they will be interviewing you and Dawson. We will change the video but you can tell everyone while they are interviewing you during the pre-show."

"That's a great idea," Dawson said, "It will give them time to process it before we premiere the video during the show."

"Awesome, so it's agreed then?" I asked.

"I'll schedule to re-shoot the video. We should be able to in the next few days," his manager said.

"Thank you guys so much!" I said.

The next few days were spent re-filming the video. We changed our outfits and I didn't wear my bracelets. I wore white jeans and a nice floral shirt to fit for the scene of the video. Dawson wore jeans and a nice shirt. They didn't show us the final product because we agreed that we wanted to be just as surprised as our fans as we watched it.

Dawson and I when shopping the week after and bought our outfits for the award show. It was the second time I have ever bought a dress, but I felt that it fit me...or at least the new me. It was a silver-metallic dress and I bought shoes and jewelry to match. Dawson even bought a shirt with a similar color to match.  He kept telling me that we needed to look like a couple. He was such a dork sometimes, but I love him.