13: Just Spying

Hello my sunshines! I know you guys are excited to read this (at least I hope so lol), but PLEASE READ THE AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END :]

I may or may not have had a few drinks before writing this chapter...emphasis on the may...now that I'm rereading this and editing lol so please be careful with what you are about to read hahaha. (I wrote this all and then was too lazy to rewrite anything else)

Thanks for the lovely cover @nidiakiti :] <3

Happy Reading!! xx Ü

--

Listening to your parents lecture you is like listening to a crackly radio, you just pick up certain things it says and the rest is like blah, blah, blah. For example, it was safe to say that I may have just earned myself another eon of grounding from the way my mom was pacing in front of me, like she was manually trying to mow the carpet with her feet, her white lab coat flowing freely behind her.

My dad was sitting on the couch opposite of me, mindlessly reading his newspaper, occasionally looking up whenever my mom snapped, "John! Help me out here."

From what I got from her lecture went along the lines of something like "never leaving the house again," "no more steak dinners for you," "I thought you were getting better," "no soda for a week," and a bunch of other nonsense I didn't really care to hear. I just sat on the couch looking like I was paying attention when in reality, I was taking a nap with open eyes.

Sighing, my mom took a seat next to my dad, and flicked the glasses that was on her nose off. "Cora, what in the world were you thinking last night?"

Blinking, it took me a few seconds to realize that it was the interrogation process of the parental lecture. Clearing my throat, I waved my hand around meaninglessly. "Oh, I really wasn't thinking."

My dad stifled in a laugh, which I was grateful for.

"Obviously. When is this going to stop? I cannot have a daughter who goes in and out of the house like it's a hotel and then coming home drunk and high off whatever it is you are high off of." There were crease lines I never noticed before appearing on her forehead, and she looked a little skinnier, and that glow in her brown eyes wasn't as apparent.

"Mom, you don't have to worry about me like that," I said softly. Gosh, I guess I really messed up this time.

She shook her head and sighed. "Cora, I'm always worried about you."

I got up from my seat and knelt on the ground in front of my parents, taking one of each of their hands and holding them in my own. They were really good parents, and I didn't deserve them. "I'm sorry I put you guys through hell. I know. But you don't have to worry about me, I swear. I'm a big girl."

My dad finally put his newspaper down and his eyes crinkled a little as his mouth parted into a thin line. "Ever since your marriage to Theo, I feel like you've been going through a really rough patch. I don't understand what's going on with you anymore."

My mom's head began to bobble in agreement. "You are so right. I never thought about it like that. Ever since your marriage to him, it's like you went down crazy hill."

I rolled my eyes at them. "Number one, we are not together, together. The marriage is still as fake as it was on the first day. Number two, this isn't the first time I've come home late and drunk. You guys are totally blowing this out of the waters."

"This Theodore kid seems to have a good head on his shoulders, but I think we trusted him too fast," my dad mused. It scared me to think what the two talked about when my dad drove Theo home.