05: Just Faking

author's note: Hiya guys! Oh my Lord, this chapter was such a struggle to write, but I finally got it out. Thanks for sticking with me. There are some mature content in this chapter. So beware haha. Anyways, vote, comment, and whatever you wanna do to catch my attention! I crave your attention hehehe. Happy reading! xx Ü

--

“Starting old habits again?” I asked, dropping into a sitting position next to Theo out on the concrete sidewalk in front of James’ house.

“It’s been a few days. I’m surprised you didn’t notice,” he replied. I watched him intensely as he brought a cigarette up to his lips and took a long drag before blowing a stream of smoke outwards. I gestured for it and he raised his eyebrows. “You too?”

I shrugged. “Not really, been sober for about a month now, but I really need the hit.” He peered at him before handing off the cigarette. I inhaled deeply, and I could feel the fumes sticking and ruining my insides, but I also felt the slight woozy and calming effect the nicotine had on me. It was a really bad habit that Theo, James, Lana, and I picked up along the way of growing up, just like drinking. A thought dawned on me, and I flicked the cigarette off to the side, effectively stomping the life out of it.

Theo almost had a heart attack. “What the heck?! That was my last one.”

I held up a hand and rummaged through my purse before I found what I was looking for and gave Theo and evil grin. “Remember this?” I held up a pretty small tin box that had stickers all over it of random stuff. His eyes went wide, and I knew he was going to ask me why I still had it. “I keep it to remind me to stay sober, but I guess that’s over.”

Opening the box, I carefully sorted the items and prepped everything before lifting a blunt to Theo’s face. I waved it around and I saw his hand grip the lighter that was held so safely in his palm. Finally, he blew out a sigh. “Fuck it.”

So we sat and smoked. It just goes to show that old habits are hard to throw away.

Now, I know it looked wrong, sounded wrong, everything we were doing was wrong, but that was the thing. It seemed to not matter to us, not before and not now. We were just messed up kids, doing messed up things, trying to have fun.

We were so stoned. Oh Lord.

“This is a bad ideaaaaa,” I sang out into the night.

“Which is why it’s so much fun!” Theo sang back.

“Ooh, it’s playing Mozart,” I said, continuously pressing the doorbell to a house that rivaled James’ in size.

“Nope, definitely Beethoven,” Theo countered.

We waited patiently, almost falling over the steps, and passing out from not only the drugs, but the alcohol that Theo had stashed away in a flask that he carried in his jacket pocket. I guess we were both on the same page. Thankfully, the door swung open in time before we could do any real damage to the doorbell that was playing wonderful music.

“It’s almost two in the morning, what the hell are you guys doing here?” We looked up to see Nina in a large tee shirt with a picture of a CareBear plastered on it, covering what’d I’d hope were her underwear clad legs.

“Damn, girl got some legs,” Theo answered. “Check them out.”

“You guys are wasted, goodbye,” Nina said, almost closing the door on us.