01: Just Panicking

author's note: Wow guys! I want to give a huge thank you for all the nice words and votes and fans! I loved reading them, and I seriously wrote this chapter right away when I logged on. I hope you guys like it! Oh! And things will move along by next chapter! Vote and comment if you liked it, vote and comment if you hated it lol. Thanks again, and happy reading! xx Ü

--

I remember back when I officially met Theodore for the first time. He was tagging a concrete based floor all the way up the brick wall of an abandoned warehouse. I recognized him, because he went to school with me, and his freakishly loud best friend was bragging as he spray painted the walls and floor with him. That best friend was James van der May, the only kid at our high school that could probably buy everyone in the town as his own personal slaves if he wanted to. How they became and are friends is still beyond me.

He was spray painting the ground and James was being an asshole and spraying him with paint. I remember I had to stuff my fist in my mouth when Theo turned around and there was a giant set of breasts on the back of his plain white tee shirt. He was too absorbed in his art to even feel the probably wet paint on his back. I would have turned around and pretended I didn’t see anything, but it was too late, because my own best friend Lana Johnson dropped her entire blue Slurpee onto the ground when she saw Theo’s back, causing a loud slushing noise to break through the night.

I’ve had many awkward moments in my life, but this, this had to be in my top five awkwardest moments. All heads swiped over to Lana and her wet Slurpee feet. And everything went downhill from there. Lana began hyperventilating when Theo and James ominously walked towards us with spray paint cans. Before anyone could get a word out, she kicked up the Slurpee into their faces and grabbed my hand, trying to make a run for it. Sadly, we were out of shaped girls, and the only exercise we got was when our mouths moved to gossip.

The two caught up with us in one second flat. We ended up having a little powwow in a 7eleven parking lot on James’ truck bed, where James kindly offered to buy Lana a new Slurpee, leaving Theo and I outside alone. Of course, he just had to take off his shirt, because Lana got it wet and stained with the blue drink. I didn’t understand why he couldn’t man up and just keep the damn shirt on, so I didn’t have to awkwardly grunt and advert my eyes.

It wasn’t long before he made some smart ass remark, and of course, being me, I had accidentally told him to not be so full of himself, because I was a lesbian. Thank goodness he saw the giant set of boobies on the back of his shirt just then, wiping away any awkward tension I had just created. He probably forgot my ballsy reply when he stared angrily at the suggestive drawing James made.

It was the same face he was making as he stared at our marriage license right now, swinging back and forth to the tattoo on his hip. I didn’t blame him, I was about to pass out. It didn’t help that Theo found two plastic rings you can get out of the vending machines that used to eat all my quarters when I was little in his jacket pocket. He immediately stuffed them back into his jacket as soon as he saw them. It was like he was holding something that had herpes.

“This can’t be real,” Theodore said for the hundredth. He didn’t say a word to me since he picked the piece of paper back up.

Both of us almost had a heart attack when a phone rang. Hurriedly, I took mine out and answered it.

“Cora? Is that you? Are you okay?”

I breathed a sigh of relief when I heard Lana’s panicky voice on the other line. “Lana! Oh my gosh, where are you?”

In the last ten minutes Theodore was talking to himself, I managed to conclude [and half remember] that Theo, James, Lana, and I had come up to visit Lana’s sister, Peyton, before summer ended. Peyton lived one city over, three hours away to be exact. I vaguely remembered her sneaking us into a party, and that was about it. And I think I saw James and Lana doing something very mysterious and sketchy in there, but I wasn’t even sure if my memory was correct. I attempted to tell Theo this, but he was too zoned in on the prospect of our future in his hands.