04: Just Working

author's note: Hallloooo guys :] OMG, I introduce some new characters in this chapter, and I guess I'll add them to the character's list on the side, so you guys can keep up, but I don't have anyone to play them yet haha, so use your imagination for now! Oh, and the picture on the side does not signify James and Lana dating or anything, it was just to show you guys their friendship. Anyways, I hope you guys like it. OH! One thing, Noel's name is pronounced like "knoll" not "Noelle" ahaha. Please vote and comment! It seriously motivates me :] Happy reading xx Ü

--

“Why are you dressed like that and where do you think you’re going?”

My mom’s voice stopped me dead in my tracks and I spun around to face her, still in her lab coat and her professional looking lens perched on her nose. Making a scene out of it, I exaggeratedly looked down at my black skinny slacks, my white button up shirt, and black vest and waved my hands up and down my outfit like I was trying to ask her obviously what she was asking.

We were currently having a strained relationship, and I don’t even know why since I’ve told her a gazillion times that the whole marriage was fake and an accident. She seemed to be really upset with me still, and I just didn’t have the strength to fix it.

“You mean this?” I asked, still waving towards my outfit. “I’m working.”

“But you’re grounded,” she stated, a frown already playing upon her lips as she shed her coat onto the sofa.

“If I said it was to help pay for the divorce, would you let me go?” To be honest, it really didn’t matter what she said, I was going to go one way or another. She did that mom thing where she pursed her lips and crossed her arms, pinching her face into a constipated look like she was thinking, even though she already knew her answer. I let out an exhausted sigh. “Mom, look, you took away my phone and car and a bunch of other things that I really cannot believe, like pantry privileges? I can’t believe I have to check in with one of you guys before I can even go get a snack to feed my hungry stomach.” She raised her eyebrows and I hastily got to the point. “If I really wanted to, you know I could do much more damage, but please, I’m seriously going to work to pay for my mistake.”

She didn’t seem convinced. I jutted one of my legs out and pointed to it. “Want to put an ankle bracelet on to keep track of my location too?”

“Fine, Coraline, but I better see that paycheck when it comes in,” she said before heading up the stairs to her room.

“Love you too mom!” I shouted after her before heading out the door.

James and Theodore were already in the truck outside the house. When I opened the door, I was surprised to see Lana sitting there all dressed up in a dress and flats.

“Why are you here?” I immediately asked.

“You don’t want me here?” she feigned hurt. I laughed and got in. “I’m James’ plus one for the event. Can’t say no to free food.”

“You guys are on a date?” I gasped, jumping up and down in my seat, clutching her arm in the process and creating an earthquake in the car.

“Cora, put on your seatbelt or you will fly out the window and die!” James hollered from the front, making a sharp turn that made me snap on my seatbelt right away.

“No! To spy on you guys obviously,” Lana said, smoothing out the skirt of her dress.

I rolled my eyes, wondering why I expected anything less of the fantastic duo of Lana and James. If there were ever auditions for a new superheroes who special powers were trolling, it would be those two buffoons. Peeking up from my seat, I saw Theo dressed in a similar outfit to mine and it just reminded me of our situations. Of course, of all things, we were two out of the three people who were going to be serving the dinner party the van der Mays were hosting tonight for some local charity.