Chapter Nine

The rest of the morning, was pure and utter torture. Not only did I have to deal with Channing giving me those challenging looks-but Shane kept acting possessive. If Shane even saw Channing glance at me, it seemed like he was going to rip my whole arm off. In Biology, I was pretty sure that at any moment Shane was going to end up jumping in my lap. Channing was sitting behind us and it was pretty obvious that he didn't care that my head was blocking his view to the board. Shane kept a hand on me at all times and even though that wasn't necissarily a bad thing, I hated that he was doing that just to get on Channing's nerves. Don't get me wrong, he's still a butt-he just shouldn't do that to make Channing jealous.

History was kind of better because Channing was sitting all the way across the room and I think it was hurting his neck to have to turn around the whole time so half way during the class, he stopped turning around, making Shane happy. I was kind of relieved too because I wouldn't have to worry about doing something totally ridiculous infront of other people. I get pretty insecure when I have like a zillion eyes focused on me. Channing, though, seemed like he would critize you on anything that you did wrong and I seriously didn't want to take any chances with that.

When lunch finally rolled around, I was finially glad that I would have a lot of time to make sure that there was a distance between Channing and I. I would finally be able to hang out with Shane without him acting like I was something totally special to him-even though I already knew that I was-and being weird because of Channing's eyes looking no where except for me.

I really wasn't hungry because let's face it, going to a new school was hetic enough. I knew that I couldn't eat. When I realized that you could go outside for lunch, I led Shane and I outside. We sat with our backs against the school and a lunch tray sitting in his lap. The rest of the gang was no where to be found even though they had clearly told me that they had lunch with us. I didn't care though, I just wanted to sit down and have some quiet time.

"Are you going to eat?" Shane asked, picking a burger off his plate and taking a bit of it. I leaned my head against the wall, looking at him.

"No, I'm good." I replied. He sat the burger back down on his plate and turned to face me. His face was expressionless but I knew that he was going to be asking me why I wasn't eating.

"Why not?" He asked. See?

"I'm not hungry." I responded.

"Why?"

"I'm just not hungry." I nearly snapped at him because of the constant question that got on my nerves.

"Okay." He continued eating and since him chomping away was only going to make me hungry, I closed my eyes and tried to focus on the fact that school was going to be over in about three hours. I only had to put up with Channing for three more hours and the possessive-aggressive Shane. I was hoping that Shane would leave once we were home.

"Are you okay?" I heard Shane asked.

"I don't know." I responded. I felt his fingers loop through mine.

"It's Channing, isn't it?" I should have known that he was going to say something like that.

"No, Shane. Channing has nothing to do with me not wanting to eat, okay?" I know that I used way more attitude than I should have when I said that but the truth was, he was getting on my nerves. He acted like Channing was his competition when I was almost certain in the beginning that Shane would realize that he couldn't even being to compare to Channing because he was on such a higher level.

"Why are so angry all of a sudden?" He asked. My eyes shot open and I twisted my body to completely face him. I took his hand that was intertwined with my fingers and held it inbetween my two hands.