Chapter 23 - Creeped Out

Lily's p.o.v

We've set the date! The date for Mia and Drake's wedding is July 14, about two months from now. Ryder and I have been getting along better, too. He understands me like no one else can. I think he is The One and I'm so glad I didn't give up on him when he made out with Claudia at the party. I really hope our relationship lasts. Speaking of relationships, something is up with Amber and Ethan. Ever since Mia's birthday, which was yesterday, they've been acting cautious around each other. Avoiding each other, almost. In short, it's been really awkward between them and I'm not sure what to think. Maybe they had an argument or something, who knows. I personally think that they're perfect for each other. I never really liked Hayden, although I never told Amber that. Ethan could be the guy that helps Amber out towards the light, where she can shine. I think they should at least try dating each other.

Ethan's p.o.v

I know I shouldn't have kissed her. It's too soon, too soon to expect her to have forgotten about Hayden. She's been avoiding me, making me think I overstepped my boundaries. But it felt so right; We are meant to be. I need to somehow make her see that. I've always been one to get to know a girl before I jump into physical stuff, but I can already tell that it doesn't matter how we have our relationship, we're still meant to be together. If only I could convince Amber of that!

I'm watching her she plays with Lily on the beach. No, I'm not a creepy stalker. I'm just planning my next move. We need to talk about the kiss. I need to see if it meant anything to her. I just don't know how exactly I'm going to bring up the subject. I guess I'll just do it the old-fashioned way and talk to her alone, where we have each other's full attention.

"Amber!" I call. She looks up and raises an eyebrow as if to say, What do you want with me? I gesture for her to come, and she does. "What?" she asks, her feet planted firmly in the sand. "I need to talk to you, alone." She gives me a nod and lets me lead her across the beach to an unoccupied stretch of trees.

"So, about the kiss." she says immediately. I mean, obviously she knows what we're here to discuss. "Did it mean anything to you?" I ask. She gives me a firm, resilient look. "Would you care if it did?" I place my hands firmly on her shoulders as if to imply that I'm stronger than her and say, "Of course I'd care. I really like you, Amber. I know you're the one for me. Just give me the truth. Did the kiss mean anything to you?" She struggles to look stern and cautious, but I can see her inner resolves crumbling as she debates her answer. She looks into my eyes, as if searching the depths for help. "Yes," she whispers quietly. 

I feel like screaming in joy, or running around the cabins one hundred times, but I manage to keep my calm as I say, "Amber, do you think maybe you could be my girlfriend?"

She is obviously debating inside herself. I can almost hear the raging internal battle between her conscience and her heart. A look of steely resolve crosses her face for an instant, lodging fear in my heart. Fear of rejection. But soon the look is wiped away and replaced by worry and doubt. I take her hand in mine and she looks up. Her eyes are shining with tears, but they hold hope. She searches my face for any signs of second thoughts, but there are none. She let's out a huge sigh, like she's been carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders. But then she looks at me and I know she's made her decision. I hold my breath, waiting for what I hope will be a positive outcome. She closes her eyes against the pain and whispers so quietly I can barely hear her, "Yes."

And that one word is all I need to scoop her up in my arms and kiss her, a kiss full of joy and happiness.

Lily's p.o.v

Amber and Ethan disappeared a little while ago, but I can see them coming back now. Their hands are intertwined and they're smiling broadly. Ethan calls the group together and says, "I have an announcement to make!" We wait for him to continue, and he says, without further adue, "Amber and I are dating." Was I the only one expecting this? Apparently so. Everyone's jaw is practically on the floor, but I'm happy for them, and I show it by running up to hug them both. Everyone else follows suit, and soon we're all hugging and laughing and crying, one big happy family.

***

After our little celebration, Ryder takes me to the post office. My mom promised she would write if anything happened concerning my father, so I want to check and see if I have any mail. When we get there, I find that I have one letter. Assuming it's from my mother, I wait until we're back at the cabins to open it. But when I do, I find that it's not from my mother at all. 

The envelope has no return address, so I don't have a clue who it's from. Inside the envelope is a single sheet of paper upon which someone has typed the message: Beware. I'm watching you, and I will not stop until I get what I want. 

I stare at the message for a full two minutes, creeped out beyond belief. Who is it? Why is he/she watching me? Do I need to tell the police?

The questions bounce back in forth in my brain like ping-pong balls. But the one that sticks out is: What am I going to do?

Authors note: Hi, guys. Sorry this chapter is sort of boring and stuff. It's just a filler. Anyways, comment below how you liked it. Comment and vote!

All my love,

Em