Chapter 4 - A Triple Date?

Amber's p.o.v

We were hanging out at my locker, Lily and I, before 4th period. I was jabbering on and on about our upcoming mall trip. As you might have guessed, I'm a shopaholic. But who can live without a million pairs of jeans, shorts, leggings, shoes, scarves, tops, and jewelry? Not to mention an extensive collection of makeup. I was already planning our shopping spree, dreaming of how many things I'd buy and how much I'd spend. Lily wasn't really paying attention to my speech, so I decided to ask a question I knew would get her listening.

 "How'd it go with Ryder yesterday?" She looked up from her phone. "Fine." But I'm her bestie. I know when she's not telling me everything. Maybe she....No way. Lily hates players. There's no way she could possibly like him, I thought to myself.

Just then, a classmate, Mia Faust, walked up to us. She'd only been at this school for a week, and we were pretty friendly with her. "Hey Amber, Lily," she greeted us. "Hey," we said in unison. "I need math notes from yesterday," she said. "I was gone." "Sure," I replied and gave her the notes she needed. She smiled. "Thanks." "No problemo," I said. "Hey, have you guys seen the new boy, Ryder?" she asked. "He's hot!" "Yeah, him and Lily are working on a project together," I said, smirking. "Speak of the devil," Lily muttered.

I turned to see Ryder, Hayden, and Drake. "What are you doing here?" Lily asked, not too kindly. "We are here to walk you to class," Drake said, in a completely bogus English accent. Ryder walked over to Lily, Drake made a beeline for Mia, and Hayden came to me. Drake and Mia soon linked arms and walked off, wrapped in conversation. Lily and Ryder stood talking, probably arguing over whether Ryder could take her to class or not. 

Hayden said, "Hey." He linked arms with me and said, in a terrible English accent, "May I escort you?" I smiled. "You may." "Do you have history, too?" I asked, even though I knew the answer. He gasped and placed a hand over his heart. "I'm offended that you hadn't noticed!" I laughed. "Hey....I was wondering...." "Yeah?" I said. "Would you come with me to the carnival this afternoon?" Hayden asked. I considered it.

 He quickly added, "It can be a triple date. Ryder's asking Lily, and Drake's asking Mia." "Well...." I really wanted to go. The carnival was fun, and Hayden wasn't so bad. Besides, if Lily and Mia were going.... "All right," I said. "Great! We'll pick you up tomorrow around four." Meanwhile, in Lily and Ryder's world...

Lily's p.o.v

"No," I said. "Come on, I want to escort you," Ryder pleaded. He gave me the puppy eyes and I gave in. What does one walk hurt? Ryder seemed to sense that I'd slap him if he tried to link arms, and wisely kept them by his side.

 After a while, he said, "I need to ask you something, Cupcake." "Okay. Shoot," I replied. "I...um.... Would you come to the carnival with me this afternoon?" he stuttered out. "What? No," I said. "Please? I really really want to go with you!" he begged. "No," I said firmly. "Pretty-please? Hayden is asking Amber, and Drake is asking Mia." I considered it.

 I did want to go to the carnival, but I didn't want to go alone. Besides, I could always hang with Amber and Mia if Ryder got annoying. Also, I was certain Amber would say yes to Hayden. And she would want me there to kick his ass if he tried anything. I felt I had a duty to be there, for Amber's sake. I couldn't believe my own mouth was saying that, but I said, "All right." "Yes!" He pumped his fist in the air. "I'll pick you up around four." I groaned inwardly after giving him the address. What have I done?

                                                                                   ***

When we arrived in history, Amber and Hayden were waiting for us. Hayden and Ryder walked off, and Amber whispered, "Did he ask you?" I groaned. "Yes." "And?" "Did you say yes?" I groaned again. "Yes." Amber squealed and gave me a hug. "I knew you would! Thanks." "I wonder if Mia will say yes?" I asked. Just then, Amber's phone chirped with a text. It was from Mia.

M: Did they ask you guys?

A: Yep. We both said yes. You?

M: Of course I did!

A: Cool! Can't wait!

M: Me neither!

I can't believe I said yes! I scolded myself. I wonder if it'll be fun. "Of course it'll be fun!" Amber said and I realized I'd spoken aloud. "Plus," she said, giving me a wink, " I think Ryder's sweet on you!" "No way!" I scoffed. "He's a player. He doesn't truly like anybody." Amber just smiled. I rolled my eyes.

 Mr. Lawrence walked in and told us to work on our first practice model. I walked over to Ryder, and we got our sticks. "Okay, you work on the standing tower, and I'll work on the falling one." He nodded. Two seconds later, he tapped my arm and asked, "How do you make a tower?" I groaned and showed him the proper way.

 I then went about trying to fashion a falling tower. I was about halfway finished when Ryder triumphantly exclaimed, "I'm done!" I glanced at his tower and burst out laughing. It was a teetering, wobbly mess. He laughed, too. "You have absolutely NO skill at tower-building!" He smiled. "There are some things I'm good at, believe it or not." "Like what?" I asked, still laughing. "Picking up girls," he replied with a smirk. I stopped laughing and turned away. "No, wait, I didn't mean it that way!" Ryder said. But I was beyond hearing.