Chapter 13 - The Question

Lily's p.o.v

Ryder came to me during last period and said, "I'm picking you up at seven tonight." "Okay, why?" "Because we are going on a very important date," he said. "Okay..." I shook my head, mystified, and went back to reading.

After school, I went home to change for our date. Ryder told me to wear something formal, so after I took my shower, I started examining my dresses. Nearly all of them were strapless. Ryder's favorite color was blue, like mine, so I decided to wear a blue dress.

 I only had three of those. One was light blue and sparkly, one was an ocean blue, and one was a dark blue. The dark blue set off my eyes to advantage, so I wore it. I slipped on some pretty brown strapsandals and curled my hair. I did my makeup smokey eye. Finally, I was ready.

I waited on the doorstep for Ryder. When he pulled up, I saw that he was wearing a suit! Ryder. A suit. Wow. I was astonished. I'd never seen Ryder in a suit before, and he looked incredibly sexy! 

He smirked when he caught me checking him out. "You like what you see, Cupcake?" he purred as he opened the door for me. I blushed, thankful for the darkness. I shook my head and he laughed. I slid in and he closed the door. I asked, "Where are we going?" "It's a surprise," he whispered in my ear, causing me to shiver involuntarily.

Finally the car stopped and Ryder helped me out. "Here we are." I looked around. We were at the beach!

 It was quiet and deserted. A small table for two stood on a small platform on the sand. Ryder led me to it. It was lit with soft blue  fluorescent lights. A formal dinner with many of my favorite foods was arranged on it. A bouquet of fresh roses stood as the centerpiece. Speakers loomed like shadows beside the table. My eyes filed with tears. "Oh, Ryder!" I said. "This is so romantic. Thank you!" He smiled. "My pleasure." 

He pulled out a chair for me and I sat down. He sat down at the other end and said, "Cupcake, you look really beautiful tonight." I blushed. "Thanks." And we began to eat. There was pasta and cheesy garlic bread, one of my favorite meals. A couple of donuts were there too. And, last but not least,  there was cheesecake, my absolute favorite.

 The speakers began playing love songs, and Ryder looked at me with such admiration and love that I nearly melted. What he was doing tonight was so sweet and so thoughtful and so romantic, I couldn't help but love it. And then my song came on, Remedy by Adele. Ryder took my hand and led me out towards the water, dragging the speaker with us. He started singing softly.

When the pain cuts you deep,

When the night keeps you from sleeping,

Just look and you will see,

That I will be your remedy

When the world seems so cruel,

And your heart makes you feel like a fool,

I promise you will see,

That I will be, I will be, your remedy

       His voice was so melodic and strong, I couldn't resist singing along, in my own soft tones.

No river is too wide or too deep for me to swim to you,

Come whatever, I'll be the shelter that won't let the rain through,

Your love, it is my truth

And I will always love you

Love you

          After we sang that part, I could feel him getting ready to ask me. I was still shocked when it happened, but I could feel it coming. He grabbed my hands, and, as the notes faded into nothingness, he stared into my eyes. He connected to me, reaching deep within our souls to pull out that link, that unbreakable bond. 

Ryder said, "I really like you. You might even say I love you. And for that reason, I will not, under any circumstances, ever leave you or allow anything on this planet to hurt you. And I am asking you now, from the bottom of my heart, if you would please be my girlfriend?"

What should I say? I wanted to date him. I wanted to be his girlfriend. I wanted to kiss him and hug him and love him. I wanted him in every way. I desired him. But he was a bad boy. The school's player. And players don't fall in love. Ever. What if I trusted him and he left me? Then what would I do? What if I gave him my heart and he threw it away? But....what if he was telling the truth? What if he really did like me? What if he loved me? I knew I had to choose.  Choose between being cautious, like I've been my whole life, or taking a chance. Maybe it was time to take a chance for once. I sighed. Then, I closed my eyes and whispered my answer softly: "Yes."

He jumped in the air and looked so exuberant I was impressed. He pulled me in for a hug and kissed my forehead. He said, "Thank you. Thank you so much for trusting me. You have no idea how much this means to me."

"Should I take you home now?" Ryder asked. "No, I want to stay here for a little while." I laid back on the sand and watched the waves, rolling so peacefully. Ryder laid beside me and put his arm around me. He stroked my hair. I felt so cozy and peaceful and content. So happy. So loved. 

Ryder looked down at me, love shining in his eyes. He lowered his lips to mine and I accepted the kiss gratefully. I wound my arms around his neck and it deepened. I felt like a flower blooming for the first time. All of my worries were washed away. The world consisted of me, Ryder, and our lips. I savored the moment. I laid my head on his chest and snuggled into him. All too soon, I fell asleep.

Authors note: OMG! THIS IS MY FAVORITE CHAPTER! I love how romantic this chapter gets! I know it's a little sappy, but romance will be romance. How did you guys like it? Comment below and let me know!!!!!

All my love, 

Em