6. mirror

H

Harry shuffled a hand through his curls and tried hard to ignore the ache in his heart, one hand splayed over his sternum to apply the slightest of pressure. He was exhausted, hadn't eaten since the protein bar the morning before, and frankly felt like he was about to empty his life onto the sidewalk. Harry could feel eyes on him and he tried hard to ignore them, pulling his hood further over his curls to hide his face.

He was barely one step into the shop before Karen was appearing at his side and taking his arm, grip firm to keep his weak body upright as they walked behind the counter and he was lowered onto one of the empty stools. "You're not working today." The older woman ordered, a worried frown gracing her wrinkles lips. She hushed him when he tried to protest, pushing against his thin shoulders to keep him sitting. "No, Harry. You dropped badly, you're getting sick from it. You need to rest, pup." Karen tucked a shower dampened curl behind his ear before leaning down to press a warm kiss to his forehead, cuddling him in against her chest for a short while.

She sighed as she pulled back, looking down at him with that mother look shining in her eyes, cupping his pale cheeks to keep his face tilted towards her. "My poor baby." The older woman whispered, drawing him in when he let out a strangled whimper and his face crumpled, sobbing against her shirt. He felt horrid, knowing he was ruining the fabric, but she pulled him back in when he tried to pull away. "My pup. It's okay, now. I have you." Karen whispered as she stroked his curls, rocking him from side to side.

Harry finally pulled away once he was able to breathe again and the kind little woman thumbed over his tears, smoothing them away with a tiny smile on her face. "I'll keep you safe."

**

Karen agreed to let Harry stay at the shop, though she didn't allow him to do anything but 'sit and be pretty' as she'd put it. Every time she passed she'd stroke his cheek or his curls, expression remaining gentle with such love that it made him feel warm, safe.

Louis eventually showed up and he paused when he saw Harry, blue eyes searching over his thin body before he was moving forward to kiss Karen's forehead, then the omega's. He flinched a bit in surprise, staring up at the lad with a slack jaw and wide eyes, a hot blush sitting pretty on his pale cheeks. "Why is he here? I thought you were giving him the day off?" Louis whispered to Karen and Harry snapped his mouth shut, looking down at his hands.

The old woman shrugged as she picked up an empty crate and set it in the stack next to Harry's stool, eyeing the alpha when he moved closer to the lad. "He didn't want to leave so I didn't make him, and it's not like he's doing anything. I told him to sit and look pretty." She answered as she ruffled Harry's curls, offering a gentle smile. He blushed and looked to Louis.

The alpha gnawed on his lip before sighing and shuffling his fingers through his messy hair, studying over Harry for a short while with a calculating look in his stormy eyes. "He's doing an amazing job." Louis murmured, irises sparkling at the sight of Harry's blush.

* * *

Louis ended up walking Harry home, scent a bit overwhelming but nice, fierce waves of protectiveness spilling out of him in waves. He was gentle with the omega, tried everything in his power to make him smile though he never tried to make him talk, all soft smiles and light touches. He waited at the end of Harry's porch until he got the door unlocked and moved inside, calling out a shy goodbye with red cheeks and lowered eyes.

"Goodnight, Harry."