13. chivalry

L

Louis woke up with a warm body pressed to his own and a mouthful of curls, soft breaths puffing warmly against the skin of his neck. He immediately recognized the scent as Harry's and he didn't even try to fight the smile tugging at the corner of his lips, nuzzling his nose against the side of his head before inhaling deeply.

Harry shifted slightly, a small noise escaping the back of his throat as his fingers tightened around his bicep, long legs curling up around his hip so slowly the alpha had to bite back a grunt. Louis ran his fingers over the lad's back once he settled again, thumbing over the knobs of his spine and wincing when he felt his ribs underneath his thick jumper, palms resting flat against the jagged bone. He didn't like that the omega was so skinny, that he could feel every single bone that was supposed to be covered by a layer of fat or muscle, that he could see how he struggled to hold himself up even on a good day. It broke Louis' heart to see someone so beautiful and kind, so broken down and scarred.

He carefully slid his hand back up his shoulders and gently squeezed the back of his neck before he was slowly sitting up, pausing whenever Harry snuffled to make sure he didn't wake up. Louis stopped when he was upright witht the omega resting half in his lap, cradling the back of his curly head as he hummed softy. Looking around the half empty room, he crowed internally when he saw his phone lying on the dresser and carefully shifted out from underneath Harry to grab it, checking the time.

He frowned before letting out a soft sigh and going to gently shake the younger lad awake, smoothing his curls back.

"H, love. It's almost time for you to go to work, you need to get up babes." Louis crooned softly, smiling when Harry's eyes slowly opened and he released a soft sigh. The omega stretched as he slowly sat up, head tucking underneath his chin for a couple of seconds before he heaved himself out of bed and made his way into the bathroom, door closing softly behind him. He waited downstairs until Harry appeared by his side with wet curls and a serene expression, dressed in a jumper that was way too loose on his thin frame and a pair of what must've been tight skinnies.

"Ready?" He murmured and the omega nodded, grabbing his bag off of the couch before following him outside and across the lawn to his car, settling rather quickly in his seat.

He was asleep within seconds of the engine starting, head lolled off to the side so his temple was pressed to the cool glass of the window. Louis found himself watching him more than the road, lips pulled in soft smile and eyes crinkled in the way they only ever were with his sisters, nose scrunching every now and then with a soft type of fondness.

His fascination with the omega was the reason he didn't see the truck coming right for them, and the reason why he had no time to do anything before everything went black.

.

.

.

H

Harry woke up to the sound of beeping, head throbbing painfully and entire body feeling oddly numb, like it did whenever Ben beat him bad enough he had to take him to the hospital. He shifted his fingers, eyes blearily blinking open before he was searching the room for a familiar face, soft whimpers escaping his throat. His gaze landed on Liam first, and he was reaching before he registered the IV in his hand and the bandages wrapped tight around his naked middle, choking on a startled sob as he shot up and began to tremble.

The alpha jolted awake with a warning rumble that softened to a coo when he saw Harry's obvious distress, quickly moving across the room to take him into his arms and tuck his chin over his head. "You're alright, Hazza, it's okay. It was just a car accident, only an accident." He murmured, pressing a kiss to his throbbing temple.

Harry blinked, silent for a couple of seconds before he was panicking all over again, chest tightening with fear.

"Lou. Where's Louis? Is he okay?" He whispered, struggling to get out of Liam's tightening grip in desperate efforts to get to the door, sides heaving and eyes wide, terrified. The omega crumpled when Liam swallowed thickly and ducked his head, pressing his nose to his cheek. "No one knows yet, baby. The truck hit on his side and he looked bad when they brought him in. He wasn't even conscious."

The alpha smoothed his curls back as he sobbed, holding him through his tears and panic and desperation murmuring soothingly, but never quite saying the words Harry needed to hear the most.

It's going to be okay.

Harry didn't sleep the entire four days he spent in the hospital, curled up on the couch and tried not to think when he got home while Liam puttered around in the kitchen. "You hungry, babes?" He called, voice maddeningly calm and demeanor completely unbothered, smile happy when he walked out to look at Harry. He paused when he saw the dark look on the omega's face, expression hardening slightly as his jaw clenched.

"You really didn't like him." Harry croaked, tone firm despite its hoarse quality and eyebrows furrowed, hands curled into angry fists. He waited for Liam to say anything, to try to deny it, and only grew angrier when he remained stoic. "Your hatred for him overrides any concern possible, and that's what sets you apart from the Liam I know. Right now, you are nothing but a selfish prat driven by his own fucking desires, and that is not who I want to spend my time with." Harry snarled before he was standing up and shoving the alpha towards the door, ignoring the pain blooming in his ribs and head.

The omega stumbled back when Liam released a loud rumble and sank to his knees, hunching over with his arms wrapped around himself as he whispered soft pleas and apologies, barely aware of the wide eyed look on the other's face, body trembling. He whimpered at the rough sound of his boots on the hardwood floor, flinched away from the gentle touch of his fingers and scrambled back when he tried to help him up, a terrified sob tearing out of his throat.

"Harry, I-" He croaked, hands clenching and unclenching by his sides before he was rushing for the door, head ducked in shame. "I'm sorry."