24. I

L

  When Louis was finally allowed to go back and see his omega, he was jittering and anxious and sleep deprived, beelining to Harry's side the second he was in the room. The younger lad immediately reached out for him and let out a ragged sigh once he was cradled in against his chest, burrowing into Louis' neck and flinching away from the nurse who went to readjust the tubes in his nose, frantically shaking his head. 

  "Don't let them hurt me, p-please Lou," He whispered. "I'm so tired."

    Louis' chest ached and he pressed soft, reassuring kisses to the side of Harry's head even as he stared down the nurse watching the two of them, refusing to let her in any closer. She gave up with an annoyed huff, throwing her hands up and leaving the room grumbling underneath her breath, closing the door behind her to give them some privacy. 

  Harry relaxed slightly the second that she was gone and pressed a small, fleeting kiss to his collarbone before he was pulling back and shakily pushing himself up, gasping a little when Louis shot up to settle behind him so he could rest against his chest.

  "They called my mum." He croaked after a few moments of heavy silence. "They called my mum and she answered and now she's on her way here and I don't even know if I want to see her Lou, I...I don't think I can see her as my mum anymore."

  Harry started hiccuping out soft sobs and Louis wrapped his arms as tightly around his waist that he could without hurting him, pressing kisses all along the back of his neck and over his bond mark, rubbing at the omega's chest.

  "I won't leave you with her if you don't want me to, pup." Louis whispered, sucking in a soft breath. "I'm here for you. I have you, and I'm going to protect you. Even if it's from your mother."

  His omega nodded shakily and tipped his head back for a soft kiss, lips cracked and plush beneath his own, familiar. This was home.

**

  Anne, Harry's mother, sat silently in front of them eyeing the gentle hold that Louis had on Harry's trembling hand, creases marring her forehead and her lips turned down at the corners.

  "So," She started, clearing her throat and looking to Harry when he startled. "You've gotten yourself a mate." 

  Her disapproving tone set Louis on edge and he had to bite his lip to suppress the growl threatening to bubble out of his throat, clenching his jaw and ducking his head to scent along the line of Harry's throat. The omega nodded jerkily, tightening is grip on Louis and swallowing thickly as his mother eyed the two of them.

  "Good." She eventually murmured, shifting in her chair and crossing a leg over the other, tapping her toes in rhythm with Harry's heart monitor. 

  "Is he...is the one who hurt you?" Anne asked as her eyebrows furrowed and her gaze flashed to Louis, sweeping over him once before flickering back to Harry.

  "N-No ma'am." He whispered, turning his head to look up at Louis and swallowing thickly as his alpha pressed a kiss to his forehead, gaze caught on his mother and watching her slump in relief, expression smoothing out. She sighed, nodding slowly.

  "Good, then. good."

sorry it's short and took so long