18. innocence

H

 Harry winced when Louis froze and sat back, ducking his head so he couldn't see the shocked expression on the alpha's face.

  "Harry?" He asked, normally gentle voice bland with confusion. "What does he mean?" Louis gripped Harry's chin between cold fingers to force the omega to look up at him, fiery blue eyes studying over his face before something clicked in his gaze and his jaw went tight.

  "He's...Ben's my old alpha. We hadn't bonded Louis, I promise. Please believe me." Harry whispered and Louis pursed his lips, nodding slowly once he caught the genuine fear echoed in the lad's eyes. He slowly stood up and moved to step in front of him with set shoulders and a squared jaw, scent shifting into something rough and angry. "I'm sorry mate, but I'm going to need you to leave. My omega doesn't want you here."

  Ben scoffed and rolled his eyes, pushing forward so he was standing toe-to-toe with Louis and towering over the both of them, eyes flashing vividly as he pulled his lip up.

 "He was my omega before he was anyone else's, and he'll remain that way," Ben said, shoving Louis. "Not even you."

   Louis' shoulders tensed and a low, angry rumble started in his chest, hands fisting up as he stepped forward ready to fight. Before anything could happen though, there was a loud growl and Liam came pacing over with a tense set to his jaw, eyeing Ben with pure hatred and fury shining in his irises.

  "The fuck are you doing here, Winston?" He asked as he shifted so there was a barrier between Harry and the offending alpha, standing shoulder to shoulder with Louis and ignoring the curious look he shot him.

  Ben's furrowed eyebrows relaxed and he held up surrendering hands as he took a step back, recognizing that he wouldn't win a fight with two alphas standing against him. "Nothing, nothing Mr. Payne. Was just checking up on Harry, and this gentleman just happened to be here. I'll be going though, it was nice to see you all."

 And with a farewell tilt to his head he turned and walked towards town.

**

  The minute they were inside Louis gripped Harry's arm and pulled him in close so he was hidden against him, fisting his hand up in his curls and humming softly as he started to sway.

  It was then that Harry realized he was shaking and crying silently, and he wiped numbly at his cheeks before he was burrowing into Louis' shoulder and curling his fingers up in his shirt.

  "Fucking douchebag, trying to stake a claim over you like that. You're just as much a fucking person as he is, not some item to show off." Louis whispered. Liam made a noise of agreement from behind him and Harry jumped slightly, having forgotten that the other alpha was there. He turned around so he was pressed into Louis' side instead of his front, offering a weak, tired little smile.

  "Thank you for coming Liam," He murmured, and the older lad nodded, ducking his head a little bit.

  "Yeah, of course. He stank so bad I smelt him from in town. I just wanted to make sure that you were alright." Liam turned to make for the door and Louis tightened his hold when Harry shifted as if to go after him, pressing his nose behind his ear.

  Once Liam was gone, Louis gently tugged Harry up the stairs and into his bedroom, crawling into bed with the omega so he could tuck him in against his chest. "Alright, love?" He whispered, tightening his hold when he shrugged and burrowed into his neck.

  "I'm not really sure. I hope I'll be though, Lou. I hope."

**

  Louis refused to let Harry stay by himself at his house and lingered around the shop when he was working, helping Karen out with lifting boxes and cases and sweeping up dead leaves. Karen noticed something was off, but something about the way Harry was acting must've made her stay quiet about it, opting to just let him hide out in the back.

  Louis managed to coax him out for lunch and stood behind him as he ate, hands gentle on the tense muscles of his back and lips pressed to the side of his neck, steadying him with a good grip on  his hips whenever he grew unsettled.

  "You're alright." He whispered softly against his ear, curling his arms around his trembling frame. "It's okay. None of us will let him get to you, Hazza. We have you."