10. sits

H

Much to Harry's surprise, Louis left him alone, didn't bother him or seek him out. He gave the omega space, and he was immensely grateful for it. Karen on the other hand, wouldn't stop pestering him on why he wasn't speaking to Louis, would scold him every time he left when the older lad slung by, and it got to the point where he almost dreaded coming to work in the mornings.

Finally, fed up and exhausted, he went to Louis' house instead of his own after work one day, knocking a bit timidly on the dark wood and waiting patiently for him to answer. The alpha's eyes widened a bit when he saw Harry, but he let him in all the same, ushering him into the living room so the exhausted omega could sit and lean his head back.

"I'm sorry." Harry croaked before Louis could speak, gaze downcast and lips pulled down at the corners. "I wasn't meaning to be rude, I just needed the s-space." He sat up when he stuttered and flinched a little when the older lad moved forward, trying to breathe through his mouth so the overwhelming scent of alpha would stop muddling his brain. He didn't want to be unsteady anymore, didn't want to be scared of every little touch and movement, of any type of warmth Louis always would offer. He wanted to feel safe.

Harry briefly looked up when Louis sat down next to him, caught the soft expression on his face, the gentle shine in his cerulean irises, and couldn't help but relax and settle into the couch.

"Who hurt you?" Louis suddenly whispered and he flinched, eyes going wide as he shot up and wrapped his arms around himself, the hurricane starting in his chest making it a little hard to breathe. The alpha hummed, reaching to tuck a stray curl behind his ear and cup his trembling jaw. "Who made you so scared, so cautious of every sweet touch, of every gentle word? What warned you away from the kindness? Who broke you so bad you can't accept that I want to protect you?"

Harry's eyes squeezed shut and he struggled to swallow around the lump in his throat, fingers wrapping tightly around Louis' wrist to keep him from pulling his hand away. He was vaguely aware that he was trembling, mumbling unintelligible pleas under his breath, but Louis just shushed him softly and brought him into a tight embrace.

"Whatever happened to you H, whoever got to you and tore you apart from the inside out, isn't ever going to get you again as long as I'm here, alright? I've got you, and you have me. From this point on, I'm going to do whatever it takes to keep you safe." The alpha pressed him tight against his chest and slowly swayed him, pressing a kiss to his throbbing temple. "I promise."

Harry returned home later on that night feeling safer than he had in nearly four years, heart calm in his chest as a pleasant hum warmed his icy bones. His eyes were drooping and his body was sagging with the exhaustion weighing heavy in his slow muscles, fumbling with his keys and the doorknob before he was finally able to get the door open and stumble inside, falling face first onto the couch after locking up again, falling into a fitful sleep.

__

Harry's wolf was pacing in the back of his mind when he woke up, clawing at the inside of his brain and fighting against his human instincts with such a ferocity he convulsed and cried out. He fell off of the couch with a loud crash, curling up tight and panting against his knees as his bones shifted and his vision blurred with the pain shooting through his veins, releasing a guttural scream that turned into a low rumble once he had four legs instead of two.

He shakily pulled himself up off of the ground and pushed his muzzle against the cool floor, sides heaving with frantic breaths as he fought against the animal in him, wanting to remain in control. His entire body flinched when the door suddenly slammed open and the heady, musky scent of alpha filled his senses, Louis' sweet smell lying within in soft undertones and immediately making him calm, ears drooping.

"Shit, H." Louis breathed as he slowly moved toward him, not wanting to overwhelm or frighten him into snapping and running off. He set a hand on his nape when he got close enough, shifting his fingers through Harry's thick fur before tugging gently and leading him to the back door, humming soothingly as the omega followed obediently.

He trotted forward a few steps when the older lad let him go and ducked his head to nose at the damp grass, his wolf receding a little in the presence of an alpha and leaving his wounded mind to heal. Harry felt his body sag in relief and he collapsed in a heap of fur and gangly limbs, one paw resting over his muzzle to warm it a little. Ears flickering, his gaze ran over the long line of trees lying in front of him before snapping over to Louis when he sat down beside him, resting a gentle hand between his shoulders.

He huffed, rolling his body into the touch and closing his eyes as contentment settled over his body, tail thumping lightly against the grass behind him before he was pushing his muzzle under Louis' thigh to nudge at him. The alpha chuckled, brushing his fingers over his twitching ears and humming to soothe him, eyes soft.

"Prettiest omega."