3. familiar

H

Harry's breathing sped up with fear and he quickly took a step back, wrapping his arms tight around his middle as he avoided the lad's curious gaze. "You alright, mate?" The alpha murmured softly, voice scratchy but soothing, reaching like he wanted to touch. He pulled away the minute Harry flinched and frowned at him, blue eyes warm but slightly calculating, like he was trying to figure him out.

The omega gulped and looked down at his feet, wishing to leave but having nowhere to go. Harry nearly collapsed in relief when Karen appeared and led the alpha off with a gentle look sent his way, beginning to tell a loud story about some rowdy betas that had visited her shop a couple of weeks ago. Harry swallowed thickly and blinked a couple of times before following, settling on his stool and unwrapping his sandwich to take a tiny bite.

The alpha glanced over at him a couple of times but otherwise left him alone, only offering a smile as he was leaving. "That was Louis Tomlinson." Karen said while walking towards Harry and he looked over to her, nodding his acknowledgement. "He's the sweetest lad I know, next to you of course. Stops by every day to check up on me and the shop, and now you." She grinned warmly at him as she tucked a stray curl behind his ear and caressed his cheek, motherly gaze searching over his face before shifting to her own lunch.

He blushed, nibbling at a crisp. "Is...Is he good? Y'know, to omegas? To everyone, I guess." Harry asked softly after setting his sandwich down and Karen looked over to him, gaze light and knowing. "He is, pet. A gentleman who'd do anything to keep anyone safe. Especially those he cares dearly for." She answered softly, and he nodded a couple of times before wiping his hands off and pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"Thank you."

--

Harry returned home that evening feeling lighter than he'd had in a while, bag bumping against his hip and curls tied up in a loose bun, small tendrils of hair tickling the smooth skin of his unmarked neck. He was humming softly, voice carrying through the sky and telling the forest about his woes, his nightmares. The wind was the one who soothed him, smoothing itself through his hair and stroking gently over his cheeks, promising an adventure to sweep him away from the terror his world had become.

He was still humming once he got to his home and unlocked the door, stepping inside to shake off the bitterly cold air and welcome the warmth of his comfort space. It was quiet, but in a peaceful way, soothing the anxiety that had somehow managed to sneak its way into his heart and spread through his entire system, threading out in loops through his fingers and sinking into the hardwood floors.

Everything felt calm, hues of oranges and reds and yellows, warmth surrounding him to melt the ice that had settled in his limbs. It gave him enough strength to drop his bag and push further into his home, touch light on anything he passed that managed to gain his attention; the wooden staircase, the vintage lamp perched delicately atop a polished side table, the soft peach colored walls. The way it looked, felt, smelt was soft to him, and it caused a tiny smile to grave his pretty pink lips, twirling the rest of the way into the kitchen laughing with his newfound freedom.

**

sorry for the short chapter :) hope you thought of it as an enjoyable read.

comments? Thoughts? Any spontaneity?