Chapter 37

“I’m sorry I’m late!” Valerie called, sliding to a stop in front of her chair, strings of hair escaping her ponytail to stick to the sheen of sweat that running through the halls had produced. Just a step behind, Isaac gave a little half-bow to the staring councillors. “We were practicing jump kicks and didn’t hear people calling for us until we took a break.”

            Darren’s father smoothed a smile off his face. “That is quite alright, Lady Valerie. We are pleased you are able to join us.”

            She curtsied, wobbling forward until Darren caught her elbow. Dropping into her chair, her face faintly pink, she murmured, “What’s going on?”

            Brendis heard and smiled at her. “We have just finished reading the letter Queen Damaria of Taylany sent us, requesting our aid. One of their border towns has come under attack by a coterie of griffons.”

            Val blinked several times while the councillors whispered to one another behind their hands. “Griffons? Like eagle head and lion body griffons?”

            The king chuckled. “Yes. I believe there is only the one type.”

            “So…do griffons usually attack towns?” she asked after she took several moments to process the reality of griffons.

            Darren shook his head. “No. They usually remain in the deep wilderness. They’re not very fond of humans. But it’s not unheard of.”

            “We should send a company of the army,” Lord Birchwood suggested, pale eyes flicking to the king.

            General Griffson snorted his contempt. “They’d be slaughtered in minutes. The army’s not trained for such things. This’s more a job for your noble knights.”

            “It will be dangerous for any man,” Lord Lakewood’s thin voice said. This being the fourth meeting she’d sat on, Valerie was slowly learning the councillor’s names and some of their personalities. She glanced around at the others hoping that anyone besides-

            Lord Whiteshores stood, his grey hair gleaming and his beak of a nose rising in the air. “To waste our men in a foreign land is foolishness. Send money and the army to help rebuild, but it is not our responsibility to protect a kingdom not our own, your majesty.”

            She wrinkled her nose and only just stopped herself from rolling her eyes. She didn’t know how Ethavan Whiteshores had gotten on the council but she wished he’d leave it. She turned her attention back to the king who was standing to address everyone. “We have long had friendly relations with Taylany. Queen Esmeralde was once a Taylany princess. Furthermore, the town that has been attacked is very near our border. If we ignore this threat, it could very easily cross and attack our own people. The choice to send aid has already been made. This meeting is to discuss what aid would best serve our neighbours. The suggestions so far have been to send a contingent of the army or one of knights.”

            “I must second for sending the army. To risk our young men would be to invite trouble from their parents,” Lord Pineheights said, his white hair tumbling over his face as he nodded at Birchwood.

            General Griffson stood as if his spine had a ruler pushed against it. “Those in the army are young men too even if they can’t claim any noble blood. And this is the kind of thing those knights are trained for.”

            Tolsten stood as soon as the old solider had sat back down. “I believe the general has the right of it. It would make the reputation of any knight to have slain a griffon. And as you know, our knights have been most anxious to see battle since…that incident,” he said quietly, his gaze landing on Valerie for the last two words before sweeping the rest of the councillors again.

            She frowned but said nothing. She continued to listen and tried to remember everything she knew about fairy tales in general and what Darren had told her in particular.

            “How many of our knights will die in the attempt?” Ethavan’s voice buzzed like an angry bee as his green eyes glared at Lord Deepharbour.

            “It is not certain any of our knights will die. If we are certain that those who go have volunteered, there should be no objections from their families,” he replied, leaning forward.

            “It is dangerous!” Lakewood snapped, jumping to his feet.

            “No more dangerous than the adventuring and quests those same knights have gone on in the past,” Griffson growled back.

            “We are not talking of fighting a witch or breaking a spell. These are dangerous beasts that could easily be the death of any man. Who would allow their sons, nephews, cousins out to fight something of that nature?” Pineheights cried, sweeping his arm to indicate the whole of the council.

            In the silence that followed the statement, Valerie coughed slightly. “It’s hardly fair for you to expect the army to do what you won’t let the knights do. They have families too. And, umm…if it counts for anything Darren’s fought Jaloam before. So did Lyel and Erramun for that matter. Oh! And Err, didn’t you say you fought a dragon once? Surely that’s just as dangerous as fighting griffons.”

            The general let out a loud bray of laughter. “She’s got you there, my lords. His Majesty himself has allowed his son to fight Jaloam, which are on the same level as a griffon and his nephew has single-handedly slain a dragon, something the equivalent of fighting four griffons at once. Surely you can’t object to letting your sons and nephews do the same? Or are you saying they’re worth more than his majesty’s family?”

            Lakewood went green and Pineheights choked. The others stared at one another in shocked silence. Valerie frowned and turned to Darren. “Nephew? I thought Err killed the dragon?”

            The prince’s brow furrowed. “He did. Err’s my second cousin,” he said leaning back to grin at his bodyguard.

            “What,” she said, voice going flat.

            “I…you didn’t know?”

            “You didn’t tell me!” She snapped.

            Isaac bent over and smiled at both of them. “I just thought you two would like to know you have an audience. If you want to continue to bicker, please don’t let me stand in your way.”

            Val flushed and glanced up at the handful of councillors now staring at them. “Goddammit. We talk about this later,” she whispered.

            Darren sighed and nodded. He hoped the letter he had from Claressa and her sisters would distract her enough to forget about being angry at him.