Chapter 21

“You’re late.”

            Valerie raised both eyebrows as she looked down at the children sitting in the now familiar hollow. “We never agreed on a time. I come only after I finish my riding lesson. Now why don’t you introduce me to your friends?”

            Bayon frowned but before he could say something rude, Cavyle stepped in. “This is Nateza Cortdor and Rabar of Deepharbour.”

            Nateza, her brown hair in pigtails that reminded Val of Cate, grinned and waved. Rabar stood and bowed, his orange hair falling forward and covering his face. She chuckled. “Sit down. And don’t bow. I’m not a lady.”

            Rabar frowned, face serious. “But you are Lady Ruby are you not?”

            She froze. “What?”

            “That is what I heard several members of court call you.”

            Bayon stared at Valerie. “Why do they call you Lady Ruby?”

            She opened and closed her mouth as she groped for an answer that didn’t involve death and blood. A sudden breeze shifted the branches allowing spots of sunlight to appear and disappear in their green sanctuary. One spot burned bright at it lit up a circle of Rabar’s hair. Inspired, Valerie said, “It’s because of my hair.”

            “Your hair?” Bayon, who had to be the most suspicious child Val had ever met, asked with narrowed eyes.

            “Yes.”

            “It is a nice red colour,” Nateza said, leaning back against the trunk of a tree. “And she’s the only woman at court with red hair.”

            “Yeah. Besides Rabar and his father no one else at court has red hair,” Cavyle said, nodding.

            “Miette’s hair is reddish. She is a strawberry blonde,” Valerie told them.

            “Her hair is a pink shade, not red,” Bayon replied dismissively. “You are the only woman with truly red hair. I suppose it is only natural that you should be named for it.”

            “Thanks Bayon,” she said wryly. “So glad you approve of my nickname.”

            Cavyle and Nateza chuckled while Senera smiled. Bayon harrumphed and Rabar stared. “You are not what I had expected,” the orange-haired boy said.

            Valerie grinned. “I get that a lot. Now what are we doing today?”

            Bayon raised his chin. “You must be brave to have earned a name. What is the scariest thing you have ever done?”

            She sighed. There were times she contemplated dunking Bayon in water. “When I fought the Jaloam.”

            The five of them froze and turned slowly to stare at her. “You fought Jaloam?” Cavyle asked, his voice a match for his wide-eyed face.

            “Yes. They attacked me then the others. They’re very strong and I never want to see one again.”

            “But you fought them.” Nateza sounded just as surprised as Cavyle. “You fought them and are still alive.”

            “It wasn’t just me. Darren, Erramun and Lyel fought them as well.”

            “Did your fairy godmother help?” Rabar asked.

            “No! No she didn’t. I only met her three days ago,” Valerie said, nose wrinkling slightly as she thought of the woman. “And she’s not my godmother thankfully. She’s Darren’s.”

            “You-you sound like you don’t like her,” Cavyle said slowly, like he didn’t really believe it.

            Val snorted. “We don’t get along.”

            “Why?” Bayon asked, his face almost making her laugh. She’d never seen a scandalized eight year old before.

            “She had some things to say about me that I didn’t agree with.”

            “Like what?” Nateza asked, her eyes boring straight into Valerie’s.

            She sighed. “Like how I was late and not what I should be. I didn’t much care for her attitude. She said stuff about how Darren had left early and that’s why things hadn’t turned out right. Which I find weird because I wouldn’t have agreed to go with him anymore a half-year later than I would have when he first arrived. I mean that would have been around Christmas and…” Several things clicked into place for Valerie. She jerked upright, eyes wide and moving quickly as she went through the facts.  

The answer she reached made her eyes blaze and her fists clench at her sides. The children leaned back as they caught sight of the expression on her face. “Valerie?” Cavyle whispered, edging just a little bit closer.

“I’m going to kill her,” Valerie hissed. “She knew. She knew! Screw Darren. I am taking her out.” She stood then, one hand dropping to hold tight to the hilt of her sword while the other remained a trembling fist.

The children exchanged wide-eyed glances as Val stalked off. At that moment, they were sure of three things. One, Valerie was scarier than all their mothers combined. Two, they never wanted to make her angry. And three, whoever she was after wasn’t likely to alive for long.