Chapter 16

The sun’s rays turned green and soft as they passed through the trees that ringed the moss covered hollow. It was hidden in one of the edge gardens, far off the path where most people walked. Valerie shut her book and stared straight at a bush some ten feet from where she sat leaning against an abandoned log. The bush in question was shaking and every so often, a flash of blue or purple could be seen from its edges. “You can come out. I don’t bite.”

            The bush stopped moving. Val sighed. “Instead of spying on me, wouldn’t it be much easier to come out and talk?”

            Seeming to think about it for a moment, the bush finally spat out the three children hiding within it. They eyed Valerie as if she was some kind of wild animal. They approached slowly and in a cluster, eyes darting around like they were looking for witnesses. They stopped two feet away from her and stared.

            She smiled. “My name’s Valerie Ash. What are yours?”

            The boy in the lead, dressed in a rough brown cotton that identified him as a servant’s son, announced, “My name’s Cavyle Raitson.”

            The other boy, the blue silk of his clothes screaming money, said, “I am Bayon of Snowpeak.”

            The girl who was still half hiding behind the boys, her purple dress a match for Bayon’s, whispered, “My name is Senera of Wolfvalley.”

            “It’s nice to meet you. Won’t you join me?” Valerie said, still smiling as she gestured to the ground beside her.

            They hesitated. Cavyle dropped down first. The other two followed suit more slowly while still looking around at the trees that surrounded the tiny clearing. When they didn’t say anything after a few minutes, she asked, “Is there anything I can help you with?”

            Cavyle nodded, brown hair flopping across his left eye. “Are you really a princess?”

          Valerie laughed. “No. I’m not a princess. I’m not a lady either. I’m just Valerie Ash.”

            Bayon frowned. “His highness brought you back. That means you’re a princess.”

            “Only if I married him. Which I haven’t. So I’m not a princess.”

            They leaned back as they digested this. “So what are you doing here? This is our secret spot you know,” Cavyle said.

            “My apologies. I didn’t know this was your place. As for what I’m doing, well I’m talking to you.”

            Bayon wrinkled his nose while Cavyle grinned. Senera ducked her head but Valerie saw a flash of teeth before her black hair covered her face. “What were you doing before?” Bayon demanded.

            She gave him a warning look for his tone. “I was reading. I have too much time between my riding lesson and my sword lesson so I was trying to find something to do.”

            “Sword lesson? You’re learning to use a sword?” Cavyle asked, grey eyes bright with interest.

            Valerie chuckled and patted the sword belted at her side. “I’ve been learning for a while now. I’m afraid I’m not very good though. Are-”

            Bayon ran right over her words. “Is it true then? Did you really kill three assassins who tried to kill Their Majesties?”

            “What? No! Where did you hear that? It was only one assassin and he was trying to kill Darren.”

            The boys exchanged looks of glee while Senera lifted her head to stare at Val. “Weren’t you scared?” she asked.

            “Terrified. I nearly threw up after. I’d never killed anyone before and I hope never to have to do it again.”

            “But he was evil!” Bayon cried.

           Valerie sighed. “We don’t know that. Maybe he thought he was doing the right thing. Or someone could have forced him to do it. We don’t know why he did it so we can’t say he’s evil.”

            Cavyle frowned. “But there are evil people out there.”

            “Yes there are. But you can’t assume anyone is evil just because you don’t like what they’re doing. After all how do you spell assume?”

            The kids stared at her and she smiled. “It makes an ass out of you and me.”

            All three froze then laughed. “You really aren’t a princess,” Cavyle said.

            “I did say I wasn’t. Now what are you lot up to?”

            “Playing,” Bayon replied, eyes flicking away.

            “I see. And what are you supposed to be doing now?”

            “How did you know?” the blond boy in blue asked, hazel eyes wide in shock.

            Valerie chuckled. “I have two little sisters. They’re never doing what they’re supposed to be if they can help it. So what were you supposed to be doing?”

            Cavyle smirked. “They have lessons. Bayon has History right now and Senera has embroidery.”

            “I hate embroidery,” the girl whispered.

            “History is boring. My tutor never talks about anything good.”

            Val sighed. “You really shouldn’t skip your lessons. You’ll never learn anything that way. And there’s only one thing worse than a stupid person.”

            “What is that?”

            “A stupid person with power.”

            Cavyle grinned. Bayon made a face and said, “Then you should teach us.”

            “That’s a heroic idea!’ Cavyle said, jumping to his feet. “You’d be a wizardly teacher!”

            Valerie struggled with their slang for a moment then had to smile. It made sense when you realized the kids lived in a world where people really did get turned into frogs. She still didn’t think she’d be saying “wizardly” any time soon. Refocusing her attention on the children she saw them staring at her, expectantly. “I can’t really teach you anything useful. I’m sure your teachers know more than I do. And you can’t be here if you’re supposed to be in lesson. But I have no problem showing you some things.”

            “Like what?” Bayon asked, suspicion colouring his voice.

            “Well can you do this?” she asked as she stood up. Once she had enough space, she turned and cartwheeled across the moss.

            They stared at her for a moment then burst into applause. “That was heroic!” Cavyle said.

            “Teach us!” Bayon demanded.

            Valerie frowned at him. “No. Not if you ask me like that.”

            “Will you please teach us?” Senera asked.

            She smiled. “Yes. As long as you ask politely I have no problem teaching you. You might have some problems since you’re wearing a dress.”

            “I will be fine.”

            “Alright. Now the first thing you need to do is…”