Chapter 12

The palace gardens were beautiful.  At least that’s what everyone had told her. And Valerie couldn’t agree more. A curving path paved in pebbles, she was tickled to see they were the same pink as the walls, wound its way through the different sections. They’d already passed the hedge maze on their stroll, the excited shrieks of children indicating it was in use, and the water garden filled with tiny waterfalls, still ponds, and all types of water flowers.

In front of her now were gardens that exploded with colour. Valerie wanted to meet the gardeners responsible for this and shake their hands. Using mostly red, yellow, and orange flowers, they’d created one flowerbed that looked like sunset. Beside it was a garden that was so covered in butterflies that Valerie couldn’t even tell what colour the flowers underneath were.

It was with great difficulty that she tore her eyes off the living butterfly display to look at Darren. “I’m sorry, what?”

He grinned. He was enjoying watching her delight over the gardens. “I said I think you’re going to start a trend with your pants. I know of at least two ladies who are talking to their seamstresses about having sets made up for hunting.”

She snorted. “Told you wearing dresses all the time was stupid.  I’m glad I’m not the only woman here with sense.”

Darren chuckled. “So how are you liking it so far? I know you’ve only been here for a day but I’d like to hear your impressions.”

“I like it so far. Which is a surprise. I figured I’d hate it and want to go home almost immediately. Though if I have to meet with one more of those puffed up toads you call lords I may just run away.”

He laughed for almost a minute. “I have never heard them called that but it’s a perfect description. And I do apologize about that. They’re too powerful to offend so I had to introduce you.”

“Hmph,” she said, a bit mollified. “At least Miette said I only have a few more appointments tomorrow and then I’m free. Except for dress fittings. So I was going to ask you what’s up for the rest of the week.”

“I don’t understand.”

“What am I supposed to be doing for the next week? Or really the next two months? Since I wasn’t sure I was coming I never really thought to ask.”

“Supposed to do? There’s nothing you’re supposed to do.”

She frowned. “No I mean let’s pretend I had agreed to stay here permanently, what would I be doing?”

“Nothing. I mean you would do whatever you liked.”

Valerie stopped and turned to stare at him. Even the incredible swirl of purple and blue flowers in front of her wasn’t enough to distract her. “Are you telling me there is nothing I’m supposed to do? That I have no job or work to do?”

“Yes,” Darren said drawing the word out, not liking the look in her eyes.

She took a deep breath to steady herself. While no one was in sight they were still in public and didn’t want to cause a scene. “What does your mother do to occupy herself?”

“My mother? Well she does charity work, embroiders, reads, and of course acts as hostess to any foreign dignitaries. Once in a while she sits in on Council meetings and offers her opinion or advises Father.”

Val didn’t bother trying to disguise the look of horror that was consuming her face. “That’s it? Is that what you expected me to do for the rest of my life when we first met?”

His silence was telling. She glared. “Oh no. Oh hell no. Now I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just hadn’t really thought this through. Because what in all of our experience together would make you think I’d be happy with a life like that?”

Darren winced. “I…Here it’s sort of what’s expected.”

She nodded. “Fine. Then I won’t bite your head off for it. But I’m not doing that. For starters, I want to continue my sword lessons. And start horseback riding. I’ll wait before I start sitting in on your Council meetings. I want to get more settled in first. Is English the only language over here?”

He opened and closed his mouth twice before he was able to shake himself out of his shock. Which annoyed him. He’d thought he was used to her already. “No. Though most of our neighbours speak it. Do you wish to learn some other languages?”

She nodded. “I might as well. It could be useful and it’s something I enjoy learning. Is there anything else you think I should be doing?”

Darren frowned as he thought it over. “I think I had better teach you to dance. I’m sure a ball will be announced in the next week or two and I doubt you’ve ever seen our dances.”

Valerie made a face. “Just so you know I’m no good at dancing. I have no sense of rhythm.”

He grinned. “You just need the right partner.”

She chuckled. “Let me know if you find a good one. I’ll keep looking too.”

Darren smiled and caught her hand, pulling her closer. “I am sorry about this. I hadn’t really thought about much beyond getting you here. And I’ve been so happy that you are here that I haven’t thought about the future. You will forgive me won’t you?”

Val blushed. “It’s fine. Now can I have my hand back?”

He brought it to his lips and held her eyes with his own as he kissed the back. She snatched it back, red and glaring. That only made him grin again. “Let’s finish the rest of the tour, my lady,” he said giving her a flourished bow.

            “I’m not a lady,” she muttered as she followed him back down the pink path.