Chapter 17

Valerie took a deep steadying breath and squeezed Darren’s hand tighter. He returned the gesture and held her waist a little tighter. “Are you ready?” he asked.

            She nodded, looking straight ahead at the deserted throne room’s columns. He tried not to chuckle and said “Here we go.”

            Since Valerie refused to have anyone else watch her stumble, he hummed the tune they danced to. Their steps were slow and Darren gently increased the pressure on her waist to help steer her. He led them forward in a gently turning circle. Amateur that she was, Valerie could tell that if she were wearing a dress, her skirt would be flaring out. She imagined it would actually look kind of pretty.

            She focused her attention back on Darren’s tiny signals, trying to stay close as she followed his steps. Her nervousness must have made her clutch his shoulder because he smiled at her. “Relax. You’re doing much better than last time.”

            She snorted but a small smile lit her face. “Considering last time I stepped on you at least five times I don’t think it could go much worse.”

            He laughed again and spun them in a faster circle. She clung to him but managed not to trip. “See?” he leaned in to whisper before holding his hand out and twirling her gently around. “You’re good at moving with me when you’re not thinking about it.”

            They continued their slow turn around the throne room, Darren adding a few more quick turns and ducking movements every so often. As they kept gliding around the room, Valerie began to feel almost comfortable. Ballroom dancing wasn’t that bad she decided. Darren being a good partner helped. He seemed to know how fast was too fast for her and kept their pace within her abilities. Not that he didn’t challenge her every so often as he was doing then, going into two quick tight circles before she could really register what was happening.

            She managed to follow him but was clinging to him again. Something he wouldn’t ever tell her he was enjoying but… He grinned at her. Her answering smile only brightened his expression and he began revolving them faster around the room. She kept up, surprised at how easy it was now. Like her body knew exactly what to do to follow Darren.

            The sound of one of the side doors clicking shut broke their concentration. Valerie lost the rhythm, missed the turn and stepped on Darren’s foot. He winced even as he turned away from her, moving so his back was to hers. They drew their swords and began scanning the sunlit room.

            “You didn’t leave the door open I take it?” She said as her eyes chased shadows across the floor.

            “I shut it as a precaution. And because you told me if anyone came in you would hit me.”

            Valerie shook her head slightly, sighing comically. “I have to wonder what kind of person you are that this is the second assassination attempt on you that I’ve seen in three days.”

            He tilted his head so he could see part of her face. “It’s not my fault.”

            The two assassins chose Darren’s moment of inattentiveness to attack. But he was an old hand at this and Valerie was a quick study. The feeling of Darren shifting back into his defensive posture reassured her as Val took up her own stance. Her sword was up and in the guard position before the attacker in front of her could get within ten feet.

            But these were professionals. They launched themselves forward, the one in front of Valerie slashing up with a knife. She angled her blade and caught the blow, sending it towards the floor. Her assailant lashed out with a high kick. Valerie’s left-handed block seemed to surprise the assassin.

            She pressed her advantage, bringing the point of her sword rushing up in an underhand slice. The stranger in gray twisted away. Valerie tried to hook one of his feet out from under him. He jumped over and sent a whistling strike at her head. She blocked it up, breaking his guard. She slashed downwards at the opening.

            He leaned back but not fast enough. The point of her sword glowed red in the sunlight as his blood blooming in a red line down his chest. He turned away then came leaping forward, bringing his knife down in an overhand chop with all his weight behind it.

            “Duck and roll!” she yelled, grabbing Darren’s arm and pulling him after her.

            Two metallic clangs echoed in the empty room as both assassins missed. Darren spun quickly to his feet while Valerie struggled to move just as fast. Now they stood side by side as their attackers rushed them together.

            “Time to end this,” the prince hissed.

            “As long as you pay for my cleaning, I’m game,” Val said evenly, despite her heaving stomach.

            Darren’s assassin was just a hair faster. The ringing clatter of his sword meeting the other’s happened a moment before a similar ting sounded from Valerie and the other attacker. She swung wide, sending her assailant’s blade out to the side.

            Before he could recover she lunged forward, using a move from her fencing lessons, and pierced through his chest adding a twist to make sure of him. The wheezing sound and bubbling blood coming from his lips told her she’d punctured his lung. She kicked up, shoving him off her blade.

Val took a step back to stand beside Darren, glancing at him. He stood, breathing hard and staring down at the other assassin’s corpse. The rapidly spreading red stain showed he’d managed to hit his attacker’s heart.

The rising tang of blood made Valerie bend over to retch.

Darren rested his hand on the back of her head, gently stroking her neck with his thumb. “I’m sorry.”

She gasped as she fought to keep her stomach contents down. “Not your fault.”

“I’m sorry.”

Valerie slowly straightened to look at him, pale and sweating. He looked just as sick as she did but for different reasons. She couldn’t stand the look on his face, the one that said to her that he blamed himself for everything. She reached up and touched his cheek; glad her hand was free of blood. “It could have been worse.”

“How?”

“I could have stepped on both your feet.”

He stared at her for several moments. Finally he realized she was referring to their dance lessons and began laughing. She joined in after a minute. When Isaac and Erramun arrived to stare at the corpses, Valerie and Darren were holding onto each other as they indulged in hysterical laughter, tears sliding down their faces.