Chapter 19

“Our apologies that it has taken until now for us to speak and to dine together properly.”

            Valerie smiled at Darren’s father. Close up, and not half-paralyzed with nerves, she found he reminded her a bit of a rabbit. Every so often his blue eyes would dart around the room and twice he’d tensed, as if about to hop away. “No problem. I can imagine that running an entire country eats up a lot of your time.”

            “Please do sit,” the queen said, waving a hand at one of the overstuffed brown armchairs. They fit well with the room. A cream coloured carpet softened the floor, a match for the curtains that had an added sparkle of gold embroidery to them. The odd fabric wallpaper Valerie had seen in other rooms, done in a design of brown and gold swirls, covered the top half of the walls. The bottom half was panelled in a dark wood that gleamed with careful polish. Everything had an air of age about it, as if the monarchs’ sitting room hadn’t been changed in centuries.

            Val set herself into the nearest chair with care. In a whisper of skirts and grace, Darren’s mother followed suit, sitting across from her. Darren dropped onto the chair beside her and his father sat on Valerie’s other side.

            “I do not believe we have performed proper introductions,” the queen said, her voice still light and musical despite the grey in her hair. “I am Asterria of Armith.”

            “My name is Brendis of Taylany.” The king wore a faint smile as he spoke.

            “Nice to meet you. I think you already know that I’m Valerie Ash.”

            “Darren has told us much about you,” Asterria said, her hands fluttering out to the arms of her chair. “You seem to be most…unusual for a princess. Especially since you are a Cinderella.”

            Valerie wrinkled her nose. “I’m not a princess. And I’m definitely not Cinderella. I don’t think having a step-family and throwing a shoe at someone’s head qualifies me as anything.”

            “Threw your shoe?” Brendis cocked his head to one side slightly.

            Darren cleared his throat. “It’s not important. We should be focusing on the things that are.”

          “I see. What did our son say to make you feel the need to aim your footwear at him?” The queen asked, then sighed. “I understand. He can be trying.”

            He snapped upright, mouth hanging open slightly. “Mother!”

            She raised one delicate eyebrow. “Do not think I have forgotten your attack on my rose bushes. You were far too old to be playing at hacking through a thorn forest to rescue a princess.”

            Valerie laughed. “I can picture him doing it too! And Err trying to stop him but him not listening.”

            Asterria smiled. “That is very much what did happen. Naturally, Amorrt was there with him, just as guilty” she said and frowned. “Darren has said you met with our nephew?”

            She winced slightly. “Yeah. He’s messed up. I don’t know what happened between him and his princess but given how he and her people acted, it wasn’t pretty. I’m fairly sure he’s going to be messed up for life and if not that, then for a very long time. It sounds like he killed that crazy bear chick out of justifiable self-defence so hunting him down seems kind of unfair. And Konah did promise me to keep him from trying to kill anyone here so it should be fine.”

            “Prince Konah of Methus?” Brendis asked, staring straight at Valerie. “He is the crown prince unless I am entirely mistaken.”

            Val shrugged. “No idea. He said he was a prince. I cut him off before he could go into a whole spiel. Anyway, he woke Amorrt up, and the last I saw of them they were riding back to Konah’s place.”

            “I confess to being torn,” Asterria said, her eyes a trifle brighter than they had been. “On the one hand, I fear Amorrt for his attacks on Darren. On the other, when his parents died we became his guardians. I have always regarded him as a second son.”

            “I’d leave them. Konah seemed to have a head on his shoulders and capable of keeping Amorrt’s craziness in check. Amorrt himself seemed to realize he was behaving psychotic and toned it down after a few minutes. Of course he seemed prone to flare right back up again at the drop of a hat. And really, I think he’s been through enough. Letting him move that far away to try and start a life that is at least partway normal is the only decent thing to do. In my opinion.”

            “I don’t-”

The hand his mother lay on his shoulder shut Darren up. She raised both eyebrows and gave him the mom look. Valerie had seen it in many forms over the years and could recognize a master at work. Darren flushed and looked down. Asterria nodded. “Your problem is you are unable to separate the Amorrt form before from the one that exists now. As well, the rivalry you two sustained has done nothing to help. I believe we should follow Valerie’s advice in this respect.”

“I believe we have spoken enough on such heavy subjects. I am far more curious about you, Valerie. We have been forced to rely on reports first from Lyel, and now from Darren. Would you be willing to answer some questions?” Brendis asked, his tone making it clear the subject of Amorrt was closed.

“Sure. Not sure there’s that much to tell. Can I ask you questions as well?”

“We would be honored,” Asterria said, a half smile quirking her lips upward.

“Excellent. Time to collect all the embarrassing stories about Darren I can.”

“I’m beginning to regret bringing you back,” Darren muttered, making the other three laugh.