Chapter 20

“It’s not funny.”

            Valerie continued to chuckle, ignoring Darren’s sullen look, as they walked through the halls leading back to her room. “Every frog you caught. Until you were twelve. I’m sorry but you kissing like a hundred frogs in your life is pretty hilarious.”

            His eyebrows contracted further over his eyes. “My dad was a Frog Prince. It was natural.”

            “Your mom said she explained how it wasn’t going to work. Multiple times. After she told you the story of how she met your father. But you kept on doing it.”

            “I wanted to find my princess,” he muttered.

            She grinned. “So sorry no one turned me into a frog.”

            Darren caught her hand and brought it to his lips, smiling. “That’s the first time you admitted to being my princess.”

            She flushed and tried to pull her hand away. He dropped his hand down to his side but didn’t release her. “I wasn’t admitting anything.”

            They rounded a corner, Darren with his mouth open to reply, and nearly ran into a portly courtier. The man jumped back. The glare he levelled at them was quickly replaced by a wide smile. Valerie distrusted the man and his smile immediately. “Your highnesses, what a pleasant surprise.”

            Darren nodded his head in acknowledgment of the bow the man gave to both of them. “Lord Royain, I see you are doing well.”

            “As well as can be expected under the circumstances, your highness. The recent increase in trade taxes has caused some…monetary concerns to arise.”

            The prince smiled, eyes holding just a hint of mockery. “I see. I believe your recent purchase of a pair of matched bays and the beautiful jewellery your wife was wearing yesterday may be more of an explanation for your monetary concerns. But your worry has been duly noted. I will be sure to let the council know of it.”

            A muscle in Royain’s jaw began to pulse but he kept the smile. Thank you your highness. May I say that both you and Lady Ruby look to be in excellent spirits.”

            Darren stiffened, his hand clamping down on Valerie’s. She frowned and look up at him. He was glaring at Royain. “Thank you for your kind words,” he said.

            “Who is Lady Ruby?” she asked Darren.

            He winced. “Later.”

            “Why my lady is Lady Ruby,” the lord replied. “It is our honor that you are a named queen. And to be named so swiftly…well we expect great things of you, my lady.”

            “Thank you,” Darren said. Valerie heard the tightness in his voice as he kept himself under control. “If you will excuse us?”

            Royain bowed as they continued their walk back to Valerie’s room. She waited until they were inside and the door was shut before turning to stare at Darren, her hands on her hips. “Lady Ruby? Named queen? What the hell is going on?”

            He sighed and dropped into the nearest chair, propping his head up using one hand. “Please sit,” he said. He waited until she was seated across from him before continuing. “I’m sorry. We were hoping it would blow over. It never occurred to me that you would end up named. And certainly not so quickly.”

            Valerie crossed her arms over her chest. “If you don’t explain what you mean by named soon, I’m going to hit you.”

            “It…it happens sometimes. Generally to queens and kings but sometimes knights, ladies, and lords will end up named as well. The name is sort of a secondary title. Something a person receives for being exception or standing out in some way.”

            She frowned. “Okay. So how and why am I lady Ruby?”

            He winced again. “It started because of what happened when you were introduced to court. You left quite an impression. And then after yesterday it sort of sealed the name in people’s minds.”

            “You still haven’t told me why.”

            “It’s…it’s because when your sword is covered in blood it glitters like a ruby. So someone started calling you lady Ruby for how you look after you’ve been fighting.”

            Valerie froze. “What?”

            “I’m sorry. By the time any of us heard of it, it was too late. If it makes you feel any better, a lot of people are impressed with your sword work. A few ladies were even talking about taking it up themselves.

            “So the reputation I have here is that I’m a killer?”

            “No! It’s…it’s more complicated than that. No one thinks of you as a killer. More of a…defender. The people you killed were trying to kill me. You helped protect me.”

            “I never wanted to kill anyone,” she whispered, looking down at where her hands clutched her knees.

            Darren slid out of his seat to kneel beside her chair. He touched her cheek. “I’m sorry. This is my fault. You shouldn’t ever have had to take a life.”

            She turned her pale face to look at him. His eyes were sad, his face tense. She leaned forward and put her forehead against his, closing her eyes. “It’s not your fault. And I would rather have killed than have had you killed. I just don’t like being known as any kind of killer. I’ll live.”

            His sigh was heavy. But there was nothing else he could think to say.