ThunderSnail Race (Ch11)

"Okay students!" Professor Anne called out from the middle of the classroom. "We're going to be studying the anatomy of snails this week. And I know some of you may be like, 'Snails are a waste of my time,' and ,'Why? This is first grade stuff.'"

  She did make a point. I really didn't think I would have to help a snail in the hospital.

  "Why are we even learning about snails?" Temmie whispered. "It really is first grade stuff. I didn't get payed to go to college for this."

  "I feel like business should have been your major," I whispered back.

  "Yeah, but I'm still getting a degree."

  "Listen up!" Professor Anne interjected. "We're not studying ordinary snails."

  Professor Anne smirked and gestured to the huge entrance to the class. The doors burst open, and some transparent cases came into view.

  "Ah there you are!" She clapped joyfully.

  I looked at Temmie with anxious eyes.

  "What is a Thundersnail?" I asked while puzzled.

  "Oh!" Temmie said with a bark-like laugh. "Thundersnails are like racing snails, they're really fast. Although, Nabstablook should be here, he normally does the deliveries."

  "N-Nabstablook? I've never heard of him. Has he enrolled here?" I asked again. There were so many monsters here.

  "Oh no I don't think he's enrolled. But he did inherit a Thundersnail ranch. He's trying to get his business up, but he's just too shy," Temmie said with a frown.

  "Poor thing! What kind of monster is he? I can't even see him."

  "Nabstablook is a ghost," Temmie said. 

  Professor Anne greeted thin air with a smile. Odd. But all of a sudden, that air turned a ghostly shade of white with a shy face and some headphones resting on it's shoulders.

  Professor Anne guided the blushing Nabstablook and his crates to the center of the room near the board.

  "Alright class," she said excitedly, "Nabstablook is here with ThunderSnails! Partner up and come get one along with an x-ray kit! Snails have bones too!"

  "Let's be partners, Stephanie!" Temmie bounced excitedly in her seat.

  "Alright then," I said.

  "You get the snails, I'll get the x-ray!" Temmie hurried out of her seat before I could say anything.

  I slowly got up and walked down the aisle. I did not want to touch a snail, there was something about them that just creeped me out.

  I made my way towards Nabstablook, dodging snail slime that a few classmates were just tossing around. Gross.

  "Oh... Hi," Nabstablook attempted to smile at me. He gave me a snail and looked me in the eye.

  "Hello! So you own a Thundersnail farm? That's an interesting occupation," I awkwardly smiled back. He seemed really shy, and I wanted to make him feel more comfortable around Temmie and I.

  "Wait... Are you my cousin's... girlfriend?" Nabstablook smiled happily.

  "Your cousin? Who is he?" I asked while barely holding the snail. It was so slimy.

  "Mettaton..."

  "Mettaton? He never told me that you were his cousin! He was once a ghost too?" A smile spread wide across my face.