||Chapter 28||

||Chapter 28||

<|Third Age 2974|>

    The day continues with the sun rising high above their heads, and falling in due time.  Endor spends her many hours gardening in Bilbo's backyard while Frodo runs around in the fields nearby.  Bilbo is inside reading, in his armchair only naturally.  Then there are Dwalin and Fili who've taken to a round of chess in the desire for Fili to finally succeed against Kili.  But of course, Gandalf has disappeared to Durin knows where, not that anyone is worried.  You cannot keep a wizard tethered.

    At midday, Thorin returns from his walk to gaze upon his lovely One, mud trodden on her cheeks.  Leaned over, her hair shines in a messy bun atop her head, and her eyes sparkle in the sunshine and daisies.  She is the loveliest sight to see in his eyes, a smile crossing his face as he comes to sit near her gardening form.

"When will you be leaving?" Endor asks, failing to look upward at Thorin in fear of what she may come to witness.  The girl does not want the king to leave anytime soon, desiring to stay by his side, but having to deal with certain issues here in the Shire.

"Tomorrow, I suppose.  I must get back to Erebor before crisis arises," Thorin remarks, watching her face with an analyzing eye so as to understand where she is coming from.  But all he catches is the nodding of her head in understanding, not illuminating in the slightest.

"What will happen to us?" Endor asks, peeking her eyes up to look at him quickly and with a scuttling glance.  Thorin tries to hold her worried gaze with his own, but fails.

"You will not come with me?" Thorin asks, saddened greatly by her implication.

"I do not know.  Frodo is my main concern."  This time, it is Thorin who nods his head in understanding, knowing that family will always come first.  He is the same way with his sister and nephews, after all.

"I will figure something out.  Just give me tonight to think," Endor says, finally turning properly to look at him with bright blue and radiant eyes.  Thorin leans over to leave a soft kiss on her temple, her eyes shutting in the heart-warming feeling.  Pulling away, the king goes to looking out over the hilly fields and valley below Bag End, a magnificent sight yet not-telling of Endor's past here.

"You know, I think I've discovered who the baker's boy is," Thorin remarks, looking back over to the happily questioning glance of his One, who has put down her shovel to focus only on him.

"In my story?" she asks, wondering why now of all times.

"Yes.  The people of the Shire attempt to control you on the false pretenses of safety and family in the Hobbit culture.  But you've run off into the arms of their enemies, outsiders and dwarves," Thorin says, looking harder into her eyes with his final words, "I am the baker's boy."

"You are.  Now, aren't you appeased with reasoning this by yourself?" Endor asks, grinning softly at her king, though he does not reciprocate the look. 

"No, if you had simply told me in Mirkwood, I would've admitted my love for you then," Thorin says, reminiscing on their nearly romantic encounter in the heart of that kingdom.

"No, that moment was meant to be spent under the stars of the Shire, surrounded by the narrator.  We were meant to find love within the borders of the competing mindset, so that I may choose you over that of my culture," Endor remarks so wisely that Thorin cannot help understanding.  He still wishes to have had more time with this woman, romantically, but understands her approach to the situation.  Thorin is glad that she chose him.