Chapter 46 - Sticks and stones may break my bones & your words might too.

Chapter 46 – I need an explanation …

            After eating the nasty hospital food I sat up with Nathan on my lap and he repeatedly asked me when I was going to be okay because I just had to take him to the park again. Luckily the bullets didn’t do any permanent damage and the path they took wasn’t too deep and complicated so they were able to remove the bullets.

            Sadly…. the bullet that went through my upper-arm hit a few nerves making it extremely hard for me to move it. So while it’s healing up I have to have 6-8 weeks of physical therapy depending on how long it’ll take to function. After a few minutes my parents told Dian to take Nate and they called Zach in.

            My God could this have been anymore awkward?

“I’m pretty sure you saw this talk coming.” My mom said shutting the door and sitting down on the right side of my bed. Zach stood on my far left next to the teddy bears flowers and balloons. While my dad stood far away from all of us by the window with only a view of the parking lot. The entire time I’ve been awake he hasn’t looked me in the eyes once. We talked once but nothing that was of importance.

“Yea, I did.” I said staring at Zach.

“Well, where do I begin Dianna? I mean this past year you’ve shown us just what we expected to happen. We gave you a few inches of freedom and you took a few feet-“

“More like a few damn miles” My dad mumbled loud enough for everyone to hear still not looking our way.

“It’s not like I planned or expected any of this to happen myself? Getting shot at? What was even going on I have yet to be told what was going through their heads?”

Zach sighed started to speak for the first time with a shaky voice. “The people in the cars were looking for that Spanish gang that supposedly lived on that street, turns out they didn’t even live within 10 miles of the area-“

My mom cut him off sitting forward. “-But that’s not what we’re talking about. The relationship with a teacher was bad enough? But then a pregnancy, hurting Vanessa, and I mean right after your father specifically told you the relationship was to be OVER.”

“But you said it was okay?!” I said now pretty upset myself.

“That was months ago when it looked harmless and cute, I mean until you begun to get crazy.”

“What the fuck were you thinking?” My dad said looking at me with piercing red eyes. “Dianna you’re graduating in less than three months, look at the life you’ve made for yourself? Getting pregnant and fucking around with some grown man what has gotten into you? You used to be an all A student, never in trouble, always on top of everything. You never acted like this and now you’re so close to going off to college and… you become someone I can’t even call my daughter.” The constant back to back breaths I had stopped, my mom’s head snapped towards him and Zach let out a sigh shifting his body.

“James that is taking it too far-“

“Kiona look at her!” He said yelling. He sighed. “She’s not the same smart, sensible baby girl we thought we had. She’s changed and I don’t even want any part of it anymore you told me to try… I did. But all of this at once, is just too much.” He turned around and walked out of the room. My mom looked at me and then Zach before jumping up and running after him yelling at him.

            He’s right; I’ve become such a … stupid person. My vision became blurry as I stared ahead thinking about every word he just said. Who am I? After one little tear strolled down my cheek Zach’s embrace wasn’t far behind as a million more tears forced their way out. He rubbed my sore arm kissing my forehead.

“He’s just upset… Shh… It’s okay.” I barely heard Zach’s words as I sobbed into his chest making his shirt kind of wet.  I didn’t want to let him go… but at the same time I knew that having him holding me right now at this moment wasn’t right. Him comforting me right now might have been right in his head but not mine. I pushed away looking at him. He grabbed a tissue from a nearby table and wiped my face.

“We should’ve never met.” I whispered to him looking at the wall avoiding his eye contact. “I should’ve never got into your class…. Should’ve never gone to that party… Should’ve never kissed you? Let alone have sex with you? Now I’m 17 and pregnant with your kid.”

“But I’m glad you did.” He said grabbing my chin and turning me to face him. “I love you more than anything and I can’t even hide or lie about my feelings towards you. Because you’re pregnant makes me love you even more.” He sat next to me and hugged me giving me a kiss. “I love you Dianna… and your parents hate me yea but that’s not going to stop me from being with you.”

“Even the police?” I said kind of scared thinking of him possibly being arrested for this.

“Eh… Not even them” He said with an unsure face. I smiled a little hugging him tightly. Being in his arms started to feel right for once, and I didn’t want to let go.