Separated by a Fence (15)

Chapter Fifteen

★Sam★

“See you buddy,” I ruffled Marcus’s hair.

Mrs Montgomery glared at me, quickly smoothing Marcus’ ruffled hair.

“Mum!” Marcus protested, trying to whack his Mum’s fingers away. “Leave me alone!”

“What did you feed my son for lunch?’ Mrs Montgomery questioned me, ignoring her son’s pleas.

I smiled, calmly at her. “We went to Healthy Habits around the corner, and we all had healthy delicious salads with fresh vegetables. Then we went to the local art gallery and had a look at some of the pictures.”

Marcus gazed at me-open mouthed. I sneaked in a quick wink when his mother was looking, and he giggled, covering his mouth.

Geez, Montana was so lucky I was covering up for her. What a little drama queen. Making a big show of storming out of Nando’s-completely ditching me. Well, while I aced with an A+ , she could wallow in her sorrows with a F.

I guess I could say the day had turned out better to what I thought it’d originally be like. Originally, I thought it’d be boring and dull as hell, and we’d just be sitting on the grass, watching the kid run around in circles or something. But life is full of surprises. When we were playing soccer-it was surprisingly kinda fun. Like, genuine fun. But then maybe all the boredom from before just piled up and because I was running around actually DOING something-I thought that it was fun.

“Well, we’d better go,’ Mrs Montgomery said, frostily. “Good day to you.”

I nodded, keeping my hands in my pockets. Marcus waved at me, smiling.

          “See you later, alligator!” he giggled.

Mrs Montgomery rolled her eyes. “Marcus, come ON! I have a corporate meeting and if you make me late I won’t let you go on these Sunday gatherings anymore!”

Wow...she was one hell of a mother. Or workaholic.

          My heart tugged a little, when I saw Marcus’ face fall. He trailed after his Mum, miserably, eyes fixated on the ground.

I started walking back to my house-which was only a couple streets away from the park.

It was really weird to be in front of Montana-with a kid. Usually, I was really marshmallow soft and gooey with kids (not that I wanted anyone to know), but only when it was just us two. Like Dana and I for example. I’m pretty protective of her (and think, when Dana’s a teenage-who knows how protective I’ll be), and if I’m in a good mood, I sometimes be one of the guests to her tea parties.

But in front of Montana? It’s pretty awkward. Not only is she my worst enemy-but she’s a girl. It’s just...awkward.

My mind wandered to the soccer game. Montana was victorious at the end of the game, and the final score was 9 to 7. I had to admit-the girl had some good tactics and moves. She was really flexible and speedy- I mean...she was in the top P.E. team after all. But to be honest-that win was a fluke. If we versed each other again-I’d be sure to win.

Eventually, I reached my house, and used my keys to let myself in.

“Anyone home?” I yelled, shrugging off my jacket and hanging it on the clothes hooks.

“In the living room!” came Mum’s voice.

I wandered into the living room. Dana was sitting on a cushion on the ground, and was watching some Barbie show. Mum was sitting on the sofa, typing away on her laptop-no doubt writing her romance novel.