Separated by a Fence (3)

Chapter Three

“My life is freaking over Sky!” I wailed, as we strolled along the street right next to the beach. “Over, do you hear me, Ooooo-veeeer.”

Skyler rolled her eyes, licking her passionfruit ice-cream. “Stop being so dramatic Monty! I’m sure it won’t be that bad.”

I stopped in my tracks, causing her to stop as well. “Are you serious Sky? Sam and I have loathed each other since we were freaking BORN! We were destined to hate each other! And now, we’re stuck together for a whooping two weeks, 24-7 at school, and on Sundays. I have to spend my glorious Sundays with that loser and some Year 2 kid.”

I know, I was being stupid. Before I’d known Sam was going to be my partner, I’d loved the idea of being put with a Year 2 kid, but now, that heavenly idea had flipped into hell.

“Can we please talk about another subject?” I complained, taking a lick of my double scoop raspberry and rainbow ice-cream cone.

Skyler’s eyes sparkled. “Hey, Cody and my 5-month anniversary’s coming up! It’s two days from now, exactly!’

My eyes widened. “OMG, really? Geez, I had no idea you guys had gone out for so long! Where’s he taking you?”

Skyler grinned, happily. “Well, I suggested we could hire the local ice rink to ourselves and just skate around and have some dinner...but he said 5 months was a special milestone, and he wanted to do something special. Sooooo, he said he was going to surprise me. I was all like, you know how much I hate surprises, and then he was like, well, you’ll like the one I’m planning...so yeah.”

I let a smile flutter onto my face. I couldn’t but feel a sharp squeeze of jealously in my body. Cody was probably the perfect boyfriend. He was handsome, caring, thoughtful, a true gentleman, respectful, and super funny. He was truly generous, and he inherited a huge sum of money from a dead relative, and then big-heartedly donated half of it to charities.

I was a sort of hopeless romantic, and I was secretly wishing Luke and I could somehow get together or something...yeah that’d be cool.

Skyler nudged me, all smiles. “What are you dreaming about?”

I rolled my eyes at her. “Shut up. Well...I’m just thinking...you are so lucky to have found Cody...”

Skyler swirled a hank of her gorgeous brown hair around her index finger. “Monty...you really don’t have to worry about finding the perfect guy.”

“Sky, it’s junior year...and I still haven’t found the guy,” I muttered, kicking a pebble into the gutter.

Skyler rolled her eyes. “Sometimes, you have to wait Monty. Hey, I didn’t find Cody in high school! He didn’t just magically come racing into school, and we kissed and fell in love instantly. No. I met him at college, we became friends, and then we began to develop feelings for each other. It takes time. And don’t worry, soon, you WILL find the perfect man.”

I smiled. See this is why I loved Sky. She was my go-to person if I had a problem or something on my mind. And she always had the right answers, she was never clueless. She’s like...the girl’s dictionary.

“Hey, let’s walk on the beach,” Skyler told me.

I raised an eyebrow, and glanced at her kitten heels. She followed my gaze, and sighed, shaking her head, before leaning down, wobbling, and strapping off her heels. She raised them up, shaking them. “Happy?”

I rolled my eyes, chuckling, and nodded, slipping off my sandals.

We stepped on the cool golden sand, me slipping my toes into the sand, sighing.