Separated by a Fence (24)

Chapter Twenty Four

Montana

I set my alarm clock for 6am the next morning, because I wanted to sneak in a visit to Maya before I went to school. I hadn’t seen her in quite a long time, so I was really eager to go and see her. Skyler had gone to see her the previous day, and she said Maya was growing stronger every day. Since the accident, she’d grown really weak, with the added fact that she was stuck in her hospital bed all day long.

The next morning, I managed to get up quite quickly. I threw on a black and white striped Wildfox sweater and some leggings, before quickly throwing my hair into a really messy fishtail braid that barely passed as a braid. I quickly applied some concealer, mascara, eyeliner, lip gloss and eyeshadow before dashing downstairs.

No one was up, so the kitchen was really dark and quiet.

I quickly grabbed a banana and a breakfast bar and then ran back upstairs to grab my rose pink old Nintendo DS that I’d ditched ages. Once I’d thrown that into my bag, I quickly dashed back downstairs and headed out of the house.

The reason why I didn’t drive was truthfully because I didn’t have my license. I had taken all my classes, but I chickened out on the day of the test, because I’d passed a car crash on the way to the place of the test. Yeah, I know it’s bad.

I took a bus to the hospital, and ate my on-the-go breakfast along the way.

I checked into the hospital, and took the lift up to Maya’s room. By that time, it was around 7am, so hopefully Maya would be up.

I knocked on the door, and breathed a sigh of relief when I heard her squeal “Come iiiiin!”

I pushed open the door, and grinned at the sight of Maya sitting upright in her bed, eating breakfast while watching Dora the Explorer.

Her face lit up when she saw me. “MONTANA!”

I grinned, and shut the door after me. “Hey Maya! How’ve you been?”
She nodded her head, enthusiastically. “Really, really good! Sky visited me yesterday, and she gave me Pinky!”

I tilted my head to the side. “Pinky?”

She nodded, eagerly, and grabbed a white and pink polka dot giant bear that was seated right next to her on the bed. “Yep! Pinky, meet Montana. She’s my other new big sister!”

I grinned, and grabbed wheelie chair and scooted it over to her bedside.

“Hey Pinky, it’s nice to meet you,” I said, shaking Pinky’s arm gently.

Maya was beaming at our little exchange, and she seemed to be really excited that we were finally meeting.

“So, what are you having for breakfast?” I questioned.

Maya peered down at her breakfast. “Ummmm, I have a grilled cheese toast, a hashbrown and orange juice!”

I nodded, and ducked my head at the TV. “Watching Dora the Explorer?”
Maya nodded her head, vigorously. “I love Dora!”

I smirked. “Do you wanna play with Dora?”

Maya nodded, but looked puzzled. “Yeah but…how?”
I grabbed my pastel pink Nintendo DS out of my bag, and gave it to her.

Maya’s eyes widened, and her jaw dropped wide open.

“NO WAY!” she squealed.

I nodded, grinning at her. “Yep Maya. I found this when I was clearing my room last night, and I immediately though of you. I used this quite a long time ago so I don’t if it still works, but check and see. I have Dora the Explorer game on it.”