Separated by a Fence (2)

Chapter 2

“Hey Jodie,” I joined her on the table, carrying a tray with a bowl of grapes, a ham and cheese sandwich and a bottle of sparkling grape juice.

Jodie nodded my way. She was busy texting on her phone to even touch her macaroni and cheese pasta.

I raised an eyebrow, and popped a grape in my mouth. “Who are you texting?”

Jodie sighed. “My hip hop teacher. I’m telling her I can’t make it to class today, cuz’ I have to study for that stupid Biology test that’s coming up shortly.’

Jodie did hip-hop and was purely AMAZING at it. She was so graceful and flexible, and she could bounce off the ground so easily. Whenever I watched her, I was always in awe of the way she turned her body and moved everywhere so swiftly.

I sipped my sparkling grape juice. “Crap, I forgot about that Biology test. Do you have the revision sheet? Could you send me it?”

Jodie nodded, and placed her iPhone on the table. “Hey...weren’t you and Luke having lunch together?’

I nodded. “He texted me and said he was running a little late cuz’ he got held back in Physics.”

Jodie’s eyes sparkled. “Or maybe he’s just blowing you off.”

My jaw dropped open, and I poked her in the ribs, triggering her to let out a screech. “You monster! And I thought you were my best friend!”

Jodie laughed, after swallowing a bite of her delicious-smelling macaroni and cheese. “I’m just saying...it’s a possibility.”

I narrowed my eyes at her. “Cuz that just makes me feel totally better, doesn’t it.”

Jodie nodded. “Uh-huh.”

We were currently sitting at one of the outdoor picnic tables. Our school is so big that people spread everywhere to have lunch.

Out on the giant front lawn at the front of the school, at the back where all the playgrounds are (our school is for kindergarten to senior year), in the lunchrooms, on the picnic tables in the middle of the school, in the several courtyards etc.

The outdoor picnic tables were always popular on sunny and hot days. And today was the sort of opposite. But this was our spot, so we never moved.

Someone plonked down next to me.

I smiled. “Hey Ari.”

My other best friend, Aaron Peters nodded. “Montana, Jodie.”

Jodie raised an eyebrow. “Where were you?”

Aaron sighed, twisting the cap of his bottle of spring water. “I was busy helping out in the Grade 2 classrooms.”

I smiled. “Aw!”

Aaron has a passion for little kids, and he loves to help out in Junior School as much as he can. It’s really cute, how he’s so soft and kind around little kids.

Jodie rolled her eyes. “Sissy.”

Aaron glared at her. “What did you just call me?”

Jodie smiled, sweetly. “A sissy. Ça s'écrit comment? S-I-S-S-Y.”

Aaron rolled his eyes, me joining in. Jodie loves French, and will often throw a bit in every few sentences. She’s a weird one, I know. I mean hip-hop and French...a great combination there.