Martin

There is tear in the window,

Pain on her face,

I intend to clear the window,

To reduce the space.

MARTIN
A week has passed since Alexander reappeared and then disappeared. Maybe he left for good this time or maybe the demon Alexander wasn't that fond of human Freya? But I know I was wrong to even hope this. He was here somewhere and he will be back, he is always is.

Three days from now I the Spring Formal and I really wanted Freya to be my date. It was a mundane thing for an angel to think but this was all I could actually think. Knowing her it was almost an impossible task to get her to agree to go to the dance with me.

But she will be there, every year she is there either to support her friend or as part of newspaper team. She never managed to dress up for dance and was always in casual outfit and truthfully no one cared since she was there for a job and not to dance. But I always did, I always watched her, her detest at a crowded place, a little twitching nerve on side of her forehead, her wide eyes scanning the crowd partially feigning interest and partially to avoid letting those eyes settle on someone to long to start a conversation.

She was the kind of girl who was not even completely open with her friends. And I gradually starting dreaming to be the one she will be comfortable around. But every time I went around her she moved away, always keeping an unsaid but clear distance between us. After that night's incident, I lost all hope. She flinched even when a teacher came near let alone another boy.

She was even more distant now.

But then he came along, Alexander, The Great, the invincible archangel who instilled fear in our kind and every other kind breathing.

She didn't even falter a bit on her first meeting as if she had known him for a long time, like she knew he was her guardian. And it didn't even take a month for her to not only comfortable around him but also addicted and habitual to him. How did I know? Because when he leaves, the look of misery and desperation on her face is like a junkie in need to drug, a man with parched lips dying of thirst, someone struggling to breathe.

I should have let her go, should have understood that she will always love him but her intensity to love made me like her even more. And now I was a mess.

Because while I thought of all the ludicrous thought my traitor feet have carried me to her house and I stood gaping at the door. I lifted my hand lazily and I rang the bell. The sound of bell sends an electric wave through me and a nervous fist formed in my stomach. Nervous because that was how I was always around her, nervous because I was putting my entire mission at risk. She was frequently visited by Alicia and Haylien, I was not scared of them but they were the ones who could recognise me and then it will distance me from her even more.

The door opened and she stood there, her eyes puffy red, her faces blotched with tears and so much pain in her eyes that I forgot everything else and breaking her rules and mine, I stepped forward and pulled her into an embrace. The amount of pain should have been great since she allowed the hug and burying her head into my shoulder she sobbed, each sob like a thorn pricking my heart.

What brought so much pain?