CHAPTER THIRTEEN ~PART TWO~

CHAPTER

                             Thirteen

“A broken jaw bone and two cracked ribs! I’m gonna kill him!” Tristis roars unable to hold back his intense rage. We both walk through the doors of the sleeping room leaving Cynthia on her bed to continue her resting. She is a strong girl taking a beating like that. Dr. Finley said it may take up to a month for her to feel well enough to return to her training.  

    Trying to calm the situation I tell Tristis that Richard will handle Valde and will probably be expelling him from the society. Even though I don’t even believe me, it seems to calm Tristis down a bit.

    We continue to walk down the halls of the building aimlessly. I take in the buildings structures and begin to see the intricacies in the architecture and designs. The walls are stone carved with arches and pillars. If I didn’t know any better I’d say judging by the building we are in ancient Rome or something.  The surroundings give off a very aged and sophisticated vibe. I rub my fingers on the cold stone as we walk the hallway.

“Besides, were getting our placements soon. Don’t want to jeopardize that.” I remind him and myself alike.

The placements are our specific fields of duty we will be doing as graduates of the society. Dr. Finley told me that there are four job placements; Seekers, Harvesters, Abolishers, and Engineers. Based on our performances and skills we will be placed into one of them after the training process is over. I’m nervous as to what it means once we are selected for our jobs but I try my best to shake the uncertainties from my mind.

He didn’t go into much detail about what the job duties entail, but I wasn’t expecting much more from him. There’s something about Dr. Finley that is so secretive and mysterious. I feel like he is constantly fighting back something that he knows he shouldn’t tell me. I don’t’ know if I can trust him otherwise I would have given him the box right away and I might already know what’s inside.

We continue our wandering walk as we make another loop through the halls. I think Tristis is using this as a way to blow off some steam, clear his head maybe. I don’t complain and I just keep walking beside him making efforts to clear my head as well. I take deep purposeful breaths and my head starts to grow lightheaded.

    Tristis breaks the silence as he says, “Hey, did you find out any more about what the inscription meant?”

    “No not yet, but I did fi—,” I stop hoping that I haven’t already given too much away.

I have.

Tristis stops in his steps and turns to me with a wide eyed face eagerly awaiting the continuation of my broken response.

    “What? What? What did you find?” Tristis asks almost frantically.

    I don’t know why I feel so strongly against telling Tristis about everything. He is my closest friend.     

I also thought that about Valde at one point.   

    I look into Tristis’ eyes and see that he needs this, probably even more than I do so I break and decide to let him in on everything. Besides another mind working on this, especially his brilliant one, would surely help out a lot.

    “Ok, you can’t tell anyone else though got it?” He bobs his head up and down so quickly he makes me dizzy watching him.

“You know the day of the burial?” He nods again with a face of solemn intrigue. “Well I found something buried where I was going to bury my bag. It was a box thing with Dr. Finley’s name plated on it.”

    I stop to let what I’m saying sink in a little.

“What was inside?” He asks.

    “I don’t know yet; it was locked.” His face loses some enthusiasm after hearing that it was locked.

    “What do you think it’s for? Why was it buried?” His eye brows bounce up and down in deep thought. I begin to chuckle a little, unable to hold it back as I watch him pondering the mystery of the box.

    “I don’t know. But I’m sure we can find the answers somewhere in Finley’s room.” I say through resolving chuckles.

My words are not formed as a question but Tristis perceives them as one when he responds with, “I’m in!”