CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE ~PART FOUR~

CHAPTER

Twenty-three

No matter how hard I try to pry the door open I can't. It's held tightly shut. Tristis removes himself from the ascension room door and is now frantically banging on the door to the control room yelling from the top of his lungs, "Cynthia!"

His fists fly through the air like a couple of kamikaze planes. He bangs on the door until his hands begin to bruise from the pounding. I stand in a frightened stance unable to move. I try to think of what to do, but nothing comes to mind.

Tristis strains in concentration on the door lock. A weary gasp belts from inside of him as he struggles to free the lock from its home.

"Tristis..." My voice trails off and his name is all I can get out past my lips that have begun to quiver from a mixture of emotions and the chilly ocean air.

Tristis is knelt down by the door with his head down. "We've got to keep going." He says slowly rising to his feet. He places his hand on the heavy metal door as if to say goodbye.

He turns to me and moves towards the ascension room, "Let's go. We've got to keep moving."

The lock on the door clanks as it is released. We both spin around as fast as we can, striking a combat ready pose.

When Valde comes through that door we are going to make sure it's the last thing he does.

My heart races as we wait for the door to open. When it finally does, my body is filled with relief. Tristis quickly rushes past me nearly sprinting towards the open door. Cynthia stands slightly hunched over grasping her shoulder. Blood runs down her cheek from a cut just above her cheek bone.

"Cynthia!" I say in an excited, surprised voice.

"Didn't think you'd see me coming through that door huh. I-," She is cut off by Tristis nearly tackling her as he wraps his arms around her.

"But how?" I ask.

Tristis releases her from his grip, "There may be some things that I haven't quite told you guys yet," she says guiltily.

"Like what?" Tristis asks shifting his brows in query.

Just then Hansel comes rushing through the control room door from the hallway. His face is panic stricken as he sees the three of us just standing around on the bridge.

"What are you waiting around for! Go, go, go!" Hansel runs to the control panel flailing his arms in a flustered gesture telling us to run towards the ascension room.

We listen, and turn towards the ascension room as Hansel engages the door look, opening the door for us. We rush inside and before we can turn to thank Hansel the door is closed behind us. We owe our lives to this guy and that was the last time we may ever see him.

His voice come in over the loudspeakers in the room, "I am setting the anti-gravity locks now so no one will be able to open the door to you guys." Just then the door sounds a loud clank and the hissing sound of pressure builds within the door. "Look for the vests I have left for you all in there. Alex you know how to use them; so help the others put them on."

"I've read about these too." Tristis says, "They help regulate your gravitational control but may eventually limit your powers," That explains why Hilt didn't wear one, he's too strong for one of these.

I slip my arms through the sleeve holes and immediately feel the extra weight hold me down. I pull the tab and feel for a knob on my back. I run my fingers along my back until I find it and I turn it until the vest is weightless. I do the same for Cynthia and Tristis.

"Now make sure your localizers are on and reading the right display."

We do so and they do.

"I will now initiate the jump sequence. Ready yourselves."

We all take in a deep breath and get ready for the jump. I feel somewhat calm about the jump because I've already done it a couple of times but this is only their second time. Tristis and Cynthia stand stiff and tense. Their hands feel for the others and they meet up. Fingers locked in a tight grip.

Hansel's voice come in again, "Once you make the jump you must find shelter to hide because they will be right on your tail. Once the coast is clear it is important that you find your father Alex. The last guy to have known of your father's loc-," His words are cut short and a short silence follows from the speakers. The room continues to warm up and power up.

What happened to Hansel? Is he ok?

The room continues to hum intensely as we begin to stretch, signaling the ascension room beginning to work.

The speaker clicks on and a voice comes through, "There is nowhere you can go to hide from us. We are everywhere. We will find you. And when we do, your pathetic lives will finally meet their end." Hilts words are stern and cold even through the speakers.

The room grows dark as my head is engulfed by the darkness.

Here we go again.