CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE ~PART FOUR~

"Hey!" The boy yells over the edge of the building.

He points a device towards me and I can finally make out exactly what it is. From the top of the cliff I couldn't see the device in its entirety, but now I can. There is no doubt what it is and what he tends to do with it now.

Before I know it a loud discharge sounds and echoes between the Cliff-side and the building until it is lost and engulfed by the sound of the crashing waves.

A burst of dirt and rock explode right next to me and I have to turn away to make sure that I am not struck in the face by the airborne rock pieces.

Another similarly loud bang and another burst of rock spews from the wall, this time on the opposite side of me. I am unable to turn away fast enough and my face is sprayed with bits of rock and dirt. The sudden objects in the face throw me off balance and I fall the rest of the way down the wall. Luckily I was near the bottom, maybe only ten-fifteen feet from the beach sand. My body lands with a thud on the semi-soft ground. Raining rock and dirt fall on top of me and I only have a moment to recoup from the fall before another shot rings out and sand is erupted from the ground just a foot or so from where I lay.

I quickly climb to my feet and immediately begin to run towards the building. I don't bother looking up at the boy as I head, dead sprint towards the wall.

Tristis rises to his feet and starts to move in my direction.

I don't want him to give up his position and removing the surprise of the one, me, becoming three later on; so I wave him back. He listens to my hand gesture and falls back against the wall.

As I near the wall I look up and see he has the gun aimed directly at me. As the sound of the shot is echoed off the wall, I pull a curtain of sand from the ground with my ability hiding me behind it, and I focus my energy and warp to another spot in the sand, not interrupting my run towards the wall one bit. The shot hits the wall of sand I've constructed, exploding it into a grand display of flying sand.

I reach the wall and without slowing down I jump towards it, kick off of it, thrusting my body up the wall as far as I can. I stretch my arms upward towards the highest point of the wall. When my body peaks in the jump, I'm about fifteen or so feet short of grabbing the ledge of the roof. I again focus my energy and send my body through the gap of space. I reappear, close enough now to the ledge that I am able to grab it.

I hang for only a split second before pulling myself up and throwing myself onto the roof where the boy is slowly retreating from his position. Stumbled step after stumbled step he moves backwards away from me. He fumbles with the gun. In one hand he holds a cylindrical looking tube that he is struggling to shove into the back end of the gun.

He's reloading.

I realize this is my best shot at an offense so I send a concussion blast towards him, narrowly missing him as he dodges its pulsing power. I immediately send a follow up blast that connects with its target, sending his slamming hard down on the ground. The gun and ammunition falls away from him and his arms and head are flung outwards from his body, lifeless and limp. I move towards his body and hover over him.

I kneel down and place my two fingers into his neck.

Thump—Thump. Thump—Thump.

He's still alive.

I truly don't know if I could handle killing another person. Especially one who has been brainwashed into fighting. It's not their fault they're fighting. I realize that I don't have the time to deal with this moral dilemma and save it for another time. Another place.