CHAPTER FOUR ~PART ONE~

CHAPTER

                          FOUR

    I'm getting tired of being knocked out.

I rub my head trying to rid myself of this pounding throb that’s building. I sit up in the bed I'm in, feeling the soft linens that cover it. This is no police station holding cell. I keep my head ducked low so I don’t bang my head on the bed above me. I turn my legs to hang them over the edge and scoot out.

I take in the room. It's a semi-large room filled with row after row of bunk beds identical to the one I'm in now. The whole thing seems surreal and I begin to feel dizzy trying to understand the circumstances that I am in right now.    

How did this happen? What have I gotten myself into?

I lift my hands and begin to examine them. The tender red rings around my wrists are cuff free. I rub them, trying to sooth their burning sensation.   

How am I going to get out of this one?

I've been in dicey situations before and managed to get out of them somehow, but this… Well, this is something entirely different.

    That agent Hilt, he has powers too (and he's quite good at controlling them). I had never met anyone who was like me before.    

Does this mean that we are connected somehow?

All these questions begin to pour into my mind as I struggle to keep my head above the sea of possibilities raging like an ocean in my mind.

"You must be Alex." The words come from behind me.

I turn to see a girl around my age, maybe a year or two younger, leaning against the bunk bed adjacent to me. She’s wearing some sort of black uniform suit. A diagonal slant is cut into her short blonde hair, longer on the right side, shorter on the left. She has a smile on her face as she moves in closer and takes a seat right next to me on the bed.

"I'm Cynthia." She says, twisting her torso to hold out her right hand towards me. I hesitate, confused by this moment and her immediate friendliness. She gives a giggle of amusement and brings her eyes look down at me hand. My hand then begins to lift without me moving it at all. It continues to rise as it crosses over my body, turning me to face this mysterious girl. My hand slips into her extended hand. She grips my hand tightly and begins to shake. In what seems like an impersonation of my voice she says, "Nice to meet you Cynthia. Yes I'm Alex," her chin sinks into her neck as she tries to mock a deep voice.

    Shaking her hand jogs my memory. Aubri. I quickly pull my hand away. A concerned, confused look floods her face as her smile slowly fades. I feel bad. It's not her fault I'm here, and she had no way of knowing about Aubri. She's probably just being nice.

"Yes, I'm Alex," I say with a smile trying to coax her smile back out, it sort of works.

"We're am I?" I ask her as I scan the room again.

She's just about to say something when Agent Hilt, or whoever he says he is, walks into the room. His presence immediately drains Cynthia's face of all emotion. She looks to me and whispers, "it's nice to meet you Alex. I'll see you around," Her hand reaches up and grips my shoulder. She squeezes and then releases.

    She exits the room passing by Hilt, her shoulder brushes against his chest. He turns to watch her leave the room and then fixes his gaze back on me. "Mr. Briggs," His voice is coarse and firm, much like his exterior. "Mr. Maddux would like to see you now."

    He's obviously a man of very few words and I don't test his patience. I stand and follow him out of the room into another larger room. The room is littered with about twelve or more other kids roughly around the same age as me. Hilt escorts me through the interior of the room. We are greeted with the same emotionless faces that Cynthia put on for him. All the kids do their best to move out of his way as he passes them.