CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE ~PART FOUR~

Before I even know it the room is filled with a swarming of people. Some with empty hands while others are holding the same type of gun the boy on the roof was holding. Amongst the group is Valde and Percy. Their faces are stone cold and I can't read them at all. I feel that they are lost forever in the grips of the Sumus Exitium.

"Hilt, let him go," I say breaking the tension building up from the silence. "Let's ta—"

"Negotiations are over," Hilt responds and before I even know it a concussion blast is sent across the room grazing my arm, throwing my whole body of quilt.

Cynthia yells and launches off a blast towards the group formed around the front door of the control room. Concussion blast after concussion blast pummels the walls and objects around where me and Cynthia have taken shelter. A gargled sound pierces the room and I know that Tristis doesn't have much longer.

The constant barrage of blasts makes it hard to concentrate and makes moving from my position seem nearly impossible.

"Alex! What—what do we do?" Cynthia cries out to me through the chaos.

I try to collect my thoughts and come up with some sort of strategic plan, but I can't all I can think about is how Tristis is seconds from death.

I creep closer to the edge of the cabinet I am sheltered behind, "Cynth—" I am cut off by a blast that slams into the corner of the cabinet missing my head by only inches.

"Cynth, give me some cover!" I yell to her hoping that I am not about to make a horrible mistake.

I take one last deep breath before I stand from behind the cabinet and let out blast after blast in the direction of the oncoming blasts. Cynthia also begins to fire off some blasts from her hiding spot and it seemed to have done some damage. The intensity of the oncoming blasts seems to have died down a bit. One buzzes by me head and another slams into my hand. Pain rips through my hand and I feel the life nearly drained out of it as it becomes limp with pain.

Another blast rips through the air on a direct course towards my head. I strain to move out of the way but the blast is coming too fast. Just before the blast connects with my head a force field is lifted in front of be, shielding me from the blast. I look over at Cynthia who is holding her hands out towards me. I nod a 'thanks'.

I focus on Hilt who seems to be enthralled with his slowly killing Tristis that he doesn't seem to even take notice of me. I flip the knob on the gun to the dark matter setting and aim it directly at Hilt. I aim the barrel at Hilts leg, which is the only part of his body that I have any kind of clear shot at. The blast hits bending his leg backwards at the knee. A howl of pain escapes Hilt's mouth and Tristis is released from his grip. Tristis falls to the ground, his hands cradling his raw neck as he coughs. He slides across the floor moving away from Hilt who has Doubled over griping his leg.

Hilt shoots out his hand in an attempt to pull Tristis back to him and his face reads of shock and anger as he realizes his powers have been stripped from him.

The room, that at one point was full of opposition, is now reduced to Valde, Percy, and an inhibited Hilt and a couple of other guys. Some lay unconscious on the ground while others had fled during the exchange of concussion blasts.

I grip Tristis in my mind as he continues to slide across the floor, and I quickly pull him towards me and Cynthia. The remaining people send concussion blasts towards Tristis and Cynthia again sends a force field to shield Tristis' vulnerable position. I slide him over to where Cynthia is hiding.

Cynthia grips Tristis in a tight embrace. I feel my energy slowly draining from me. I am growing exhausted.

"Alex, what are we going to do?" Cynthia asks nurturing Tristis and the wound to his neck.