CHAPTER ELEVEN ~PART TWO~

CHAPTER

                             Eleven

The landscape along the coast is decorated with vibrant green trees. Thick unhindered grass grows tall and wild. A breeze blows the crisp refreshing air into the stale room and I breathe in deeply. Hilt makes his way down the banks of the island and proceeds to jump into the water. His bald, bobbing head makes us all laugh a little. Hilt yells from in the water, “Come on. Get a move on it!”

One by one the others begin to pour out of the door, over the banks of the island and into the water. They are all holding their bags above their heads as best they can. Percy, who seems to be filled with immense excitement, has dropped his watchdog routine for the time being. He pushes past a bunch of the group who all give him the stink eye, and jumps out of the door into the water. A sense of relief fills my body.

I look over at Cynthia who still seems to be in shock because she hasn’t let go of my hand yet and her grip is tight as if she is holding on for dear life.

“You ok Cynth?” I ask giving her hand a shake.

Her gaze is broken as she turns to look at our hands tightly clenched together. “Yeah I’m fine, sorry.” She releases my hand and her hand drop to her side. I smile at her and she smiles back.

“Tristis, you doing ok over there?” I ask him trying my best not to laugh at the priceless look on his face.  Up till now he’s been tightly clenching the pipes hanging on the walls for stability. The ride over here must have shaken him up a bit.  His hands slowly peel away from the wall as he makes his way over to the door.

“Yeah. I think so…” He takes each step as if he may fall through the floor. One right after the other, slowly waiting for the floors to give out. But they don’t. He inches closer and closer to me and Cynthia till he is close enough for me to reach out my hand to him. He takes it quickly and I pull him right next to us.

“Wow, you don’t get to do that every day, now do you.” Tristis breaths in heavily then moves towards the door.  

After carefully examining the door and the leap he is about to take, Tristis makes his way down to the water. He runs his hands back and forth through the water before cautiously jumping in. I look at Cynthia and she looks back at me. We both plunge into the water and I desperately try to keep my bag dry. (I really hope that these contents are at least somewhat water resistant).

We quickly catch up to Tristis and then the rest of the group as we all start to make our way up the shoreline. The sand is soft and warm from the sun’s rays. The silent Mr. Hilt continues to walk to the cliff side and the group starts to follow knowing that is what he wants of us. I quickly examine my bag for the extent of water damage done and realize I didn’t do half bad in my attempts at keeping it dry. We all make it to the Cliffside and we gather around Hilt in a half circle. Hilt then informs us that he is going to be lifting us to the top of the cliff. Cynthia and Tristis both look at me and then each other. We all must be thinking about the same thing because though our faces say we have something to say, none of us speaks a word.

Hilt then begins to take the others up one by one, much like we did last night in a mixture of floating and climbing.

“I wish Valde was here.” Tristis says finally bringing out what we are all thinking.

”yeah I miss him.” Cynthia’s voice is sad and sweet. “I feel so bad for—” Her head sinks as her stare falls to her feet. She kicks some sand around trying her best to occupy her mind with anything else other than thinking about Last night. She shifts her bag onto her other shoulder and lets out a sigh.