CHAPTER SIX ~PART TWO~

CHAPTER

          SIX

I slide my tray across the food bar and see that nothing really looks that appetizing. I grab an apple and walk away into the dining hall. I hear Cynthia's calls as she waves me over.

It's been two months now since I first decided to join the society. Through the physical training with Hilt, the history lessons with Richard, and the technical training with Dr. Finley I have actually learned a lot. I've grown fond of this place and what it offers me. I have especially grown close to Dr. Finley. I usually stay late after his lessons and we continue to chat about his gadgets, time travel, my abilities and just about anything you could think of, we talk about it.

I reach the table where Cynthia, Tristis, and Valde are sitting. I squeeze in between Tristis and Cynthia. I've grown pretty close to these three and we've sort of become a team.

"Just an apple?" Cynthia asks.

"Yeah I'm not feeling very hungry right now." I respond.

"You know what they say, 'an apple a day keeps the dentist away'." Tristis chuckles at his humor and continues to scarf down his plate of breakfast.

"It keeps the doctor away you baboon." Valde says as he throws his fist into Tristis' arm. They begin to wrestle around a bit in their seats. Stray knees rap at the underside of the table shaking the trays of food and silverware.

Tristis has red hair and wears thick glasses. He is very smart. One of the smartest kids I’ve ever known. Last week he was able to take apart a localizer and put it back together in under a minute. It took me six.

 Tristis is a little different from the rest of us, his powers don't have anything to do with gravity but instead the power of strong force manipulation. As Dr. Finley describe it,  it means he can disassemble things down to their atomic make-up with just his mind. Theoretically, he could blow things up by just thinking about it (he makes sure we don't ever forget that).

Valde on the other hand is a dark haired, ponytailed boy they picked up in Italy where he was peddling tourists and pushovers a-like in his gambling routine. You know the whole three cup, which one is the ball under gag and the watch as I make something disappear and reappear somewhere else. Most of us have found our specialty when it comes to gravitational manipulation or as Dr. Finley calls it, 'gravitokinesis'. Valde's is the ability to bend space around objects to conceal them. Camouflage them. Make them invisible to the naked eye.

Cynthia can hold a good levitation and I was the first to be able to successfully accomplish each one of the gravitokenisis abilities, aside from time travel, which none of us have attempted yet. They aren't allowing us until the burial.

"You guys know what you’re gonna bring for the burial tomorrow?" I ask dropping my half eaten apple down onto my tray. It lands with a thud.

"I think so. You?" Cynthia responds.

"Yeah. More or less."

Tristis and Valde take a quick break from their play fighting to answer, "yes," and then continue giving each other noogies and wet willies and mocking each other’s non-existent 'mammas'.

The burial is one of our last exercises before our field training will take place. It's more of a preparation than an exercise but they call it an exercise. For the burial we are to take our duffle bags and select three-five things to fit into the bag. The choice of what and how many things is totally up to us.

Once we've filled our bag with our goodies we take them to a nearby wooded area, and we bury it. Of course, we first go thousands of years into the past to ensure that they are there any time we may need them. They are emergency packs, if you will, for when we are in the field and need help. Our job duties, once we are through training, entails us traveling through time and the ascensions of time.